Well...that didn't work

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Cleaning out a double cage that some fryers got completely filthy doesn't work with just one person...at least not easily.

Couldn't get it out of the rabbitry.

it's winter so everything is a tight fit and well..I'm not a small person.

I did my best for the time of year...but I"m not happy with the overall results.
Scrape-ing, bleaching, finger picking, and ah...just a mess to try to do in a small space.

BUT it is better than what it was.

I do wonder sometimes why some kits are just messy kits, and others are just fine. EVEN WHEN their mommas are neat nits. ah well...at least the job is done. :)

In my experience, some does actively train their kits while others just sigh and let them run wild. It's true that rabbits learn many things by observation, but where cleanliness is concerned, I think more is needed than a tidy momma.

I find that the plastic plaster or autobody type spatula/scrapers along with long bristle janitor supply type brushes, you know the ones with a 18-24 inch handle, do wonders, still have to muck the hay out, but I have disposable gloves for that part (actually all of it, but thats just me...)

i had to clean 12 cages the other day...i thought about it..then loaded them up and headed to the car wash...wow that worked great....(glad i dont have to clean the car wash...LOL)
CC

both these last two litters came from does that are scruplously clean. it floored me to see how messy these kits became in a short period of time. It's like WHAT ARE YOU DOING???? Just messy messy messy. Two that I separated to be by themselves...neat nicks...just nice clean kits, just like momma's are. But the growers...messy messy.

I use two things to clean. A scrapper (like one uses to put on putty) and a screwdriver. Both work wonders, particularly in the winter, to remove stuck on stuff. For Hair I use a microfiber cloth, first I use it dry, and then I wet down the cage to make the hair clumpy .. and then once it's wet the cloth picks it up wonderfully. The rest is just finger picking of hay and the odd bit that doesn't come up. I may invest in a bbq brush this year.

Um, issue with a BBQ brush is that the steel will 'clean' the galv right off the wire, as zinc is much softer than stainless steel, I bought some when they went of clearance, then read a little about the issues on the interwebz... and I gotta agree, I would rather be safe than sorry, esp at ~$3 a ft for floor wire.

yeah,
I found a long handled brush at my local hardware store
it's stiffer and a little longer than toilet brush, but basically the sane

So it's not just me! Pearl's two litters have both been clean. Squeak came from her first litter. Squeak isn't a perfectly clean rabbit, but she is pretty neat. Her first litter is filthy! :x They don't eat their cecotropes, and so their area is way smellier than everybody else's, and they are dirty. I'm really hoping that it's because it was her first litter, and that she'll teach her kits in the future. Is there any chance of that?

I bought a power washer a few years ago,i love it.i dont have too scrape anything.

i don't know. I do know that from the one doe I have...that her first litter...impeccably clean as she is, the second as well...this third litter...ick. hoping that litter four will be better. If not well... ARGH!!!!!!

Maybe it is because I always have more rabbits to choose from than places to keep them, but I do find myself selecting for cleanliness and the ability of the doe to train the kits. It is only one factor among many, but it is in my mind when choosing who will stay and who will go.

MaggieJ":7bfuj7p5 said:
...I do find myself selecting for cleanliness and the ability of the doe to train the kits. It is only one factor among many, but it is in my mind when choosing who will stay and who will go.
wonderfull- If I croaked today and came back as one of your kits, I'd probably :weep: wind up in the meat pen....

We have had several days above freezing already.i did find some brass bristeled barbecue brushes.

Back