Weird use of a dead meat rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Selling two dead/frozen meat rabbits tomorrow.

Nothing weird in that...

What's weird is the use they are going to be put to.

She's going to
1. make them look like road kill
2. skin them
3. debone them
4. cook 'em and eat 'em.
It's supposed to be an art project based on a survivalist theme.

it's like...okay... GROSS. I know what dead bunnies look like and how quickly they can go bad. Mind I freeze 'em immediately so spoilage factor is lessened but it just hits my ICK factor.

And I thought I was off for wanting to save a full skeleton, clean it, and articulate it for the fun of learning about all the bones in a rabbits body.

At least my idea is educational...

PSFAngoras":1q140rru said:
And I thought I was off for wanting to save a full skeleton, clean it, and articulate it for the fun of learning about all the bones in a rabbits body.

I've thought about doing that. Always thought it'd be cool to have around. Then again, ever since I was really little I've been interested in anatomy and such. When most kids were getting books from the Reading Rainbow list I was reading veterinary, and anatomy books. I started reading VERY young and I remember being fascinated by how something sooooo complicated (like a body) could work as smoothly as it did. So, it was a lot of looking at pictures and asking questions. Eventually, my grandmother got me a dictionary and told me to look stuff up and ask questions after that. lol.

I clean skulls and bones sometimes, when someone asks me to. It's one more way to use remains.
It was just the thought of someone actually eating a carcass that had been frozen and thawed with the guts still in that grossed me out a bit. I am fully aware of how active bacteria can be when animals are freezing and thawing.

Zass":37vytluu said:
It was just the thought of someone actually eating a carcass that had been frozen and thawed with the guts still in that grossed me out a bit. I am fully aware of how active bacteria can be when animals are freezing and thawing.

I would question the safety of that... :sick:

we had a long talk when she got here, and I very much stressed that even though I put them in the freezer within five minutes of death...that she'll want to get the guts out as QUICKLY as possible when she thaws them.

She went on to tell me all the people she knows who will eat road-kill.

She laughed at my expression... and said... when you are hungry.. you figure out what you can eat.

I just said.. be safe when you do this. Don't get sick. This is what you want to watch for in the livers (as two of them were rescues). and have fun doing your art.

She's going to send me video or stills of the whole process, and she told me to share them with you all. :) So stay tuned...

PSFAngoras":3i5bnh5o said:

I saw one on Amazon for $100...you should so do your own!

Well if I get to articulate a skeleton, I'll post pics here. I was all set last butcher, or so I thought I till I realized I didn't save any of the forepaws that I cut off, though I did manage to leave one skeleton without cutting open the rib cage at the sternum to remove the lungs.

Oh well, maybe my little blonde brain will remember next time... :)

ladysown":oa6x3fun said:
we had a long talk when she got here, and I very much stressed that even though I put them in the freezer within five minutes of death...that she'll want to get the guts out as QUICKLY as possible when she thaws them.

She went on to tell me all the people she knows who will eat road-kill.

She laughed at my expression... and said... when you are hungry.. you figure out what you can eat.

I just said.. be safe when you do this. Don't get sick. This is what you want to watch for in the livers (as two of them were rescues). and have fun doing your art.

She's going to send me video or stills of the whole process, and she told me to share them with you all. :) So stay tuned...

Here's an...interesting...read:
http://www.amazon.com/Possum-Living-Wit ... sum+living

and, yes, I purchased and read it. The author was quite serious and apparently it was autobiograhical. Not exactly how I'd go about living a more simple life but...

tailwagging":3l3hmrr7 said:
oooooo looks like a good book! thanks for posting this

You are welcome. It was...interesting. There were bits of info that were helpful. Other parts, not so much other than from a Sociological standpoint. The author does provide an "update" in the back where she expresses some more, mature and law-abiding, perspectives on a chapter or two...

Latest posts

Back