Weight loss in doe with 2 week old kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

currituckbun

Reaction score
One of my SF does just had a small liter of 4 kits and since she has always been a good mom and my two other does had 13 and 11 , I fostered 3 to her from the other does. I just noticed yesterday how suddenly thin she has gotten. After a better exam she is scary thin. I immediately fostered back the kits and hers are now in with the others. I gave her one day with one but out of concern for the kit I moved him today. All of her kits were rather thin too.
I have put everyone on kitchen oats and I am picking up some boss tomorrow . They are already on 18% unlimited pellets. Did I stress her out with 7 kits. That is the most she has ever had. The weather has been up and down here. This may be a factor .
Thoughts?

I myself have had trouble with does milking this year and have heard of several having kits and not being able to keep them more than 4-10 days at times. I understand you will always lose kits but myself and a couple of the other breeders in KY have seen an increase of the percentage of this happening this year. I guess global warming caught up with us this year with the mild winter and early spikes of heat in late winter and early spring; I can only think this threw our does for a loop. I know most with an uncooled/outerdoor cage had bucks that stayed sterile a bit longer too.

Latest posts

Back