weight fluctuations

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
took a long hard look at Marsha yesterday--
I am upset-- She seems to hold her weight best when she is bred, I guess-- she is feeling a bit bony--I have her indoors because I did re-breed her and I did not want to run the risk of losing more of her kits to cold.

She has an awesome meat structure, good AmChin coloring, is a wonderful mother, and proved, in November, that she CAN carry and deliver 10 kits--

I guess I have to find a way to give her the VERY varied diet that she really loves and does well on--She is special-- and is worth the extra effort to me. but gosh, to weigh 8 pounds when she is actively nursing a growing litter, and only 6 when she is 'resting' is like, too much of a weight difference. But then, It took a long time to get her to reach and maintain more than 7 pounds as a weight. (she is only half AmChin)

My Cali doe (that I just traded back to the original owner for another-- long story) fluctuated a decent amount too. She's on the thinner end when I gave her back to the other owner, and she is just probably going to cull her.

It's interesting though that she would be so well weighted when nursing, but not in between litters? I haven't heard of that before. Maybe she is getting more exercise when without children, and moves slower/less when weighed down with milk?

Latest posts

Back