Weight at 12 weeks?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemonthyme

Reaction score
Since my husband and I are still new to meat rabbits we are wondering what the approximate weight should be at 12 weeks (Cal/NZ cross) and if that is when most people butcher? I have a batch of 7 and their live weight is about 5 pounds right now. How much weight would they lose during the butchering process and what is your goal weight for a dressed rabbit? Sorry for all the questions but we really want to get this right.
Karen

5 lbs is a good weight, some manage to get that sooner but mostly that's selective breeding which you'll achieve over time. Depending upon your bunnies you should expect about a 50-60% return on that weight.

I agree with Ladysown. It sounds as though your rabbits are more or less ready for freezer camp.

If this is your first time butchering, I suggest you do no more than three the first time. It always takes longer at first. Don't forget to age the meat in the refrigerator for 2 - 3 days before cooking or freezing it. This gives time for the rigor mortis to pass.

I preferred at first to serve something totally different for supper on butchering days - pizza or pasta are good choices. I'm very matter-of-fact about butchering, but the first few times were still a little stressful. A second session a few days or a week later to finish the others will go a long way to consolidating your knowledge of the process and to accustoming you to it.

Glad to know we are on track. Also, I am glad you told me about the aging in the refrigerator as I didn't know that! I will take your advice about only butchering a few the first day. I'm sure it will take a bit to get the hang of it. My husband and a friend have said they will do the killing and skinning. I'm sure I could if necessary being a farm girl and all but if they are willing that's just something I don't have to contend with.
Karen

Our goal is 4.5-5 lbs at 8-10 weeks; by 12 weeks I want them closer to 6lbs. Because I have been selling males and breeding for quality stock, I am pulling my males off mamma around 6 weeks and leaving the females for 8 weeks.

The males are either sold as weanlings or butchered at 8 weeks---we have been avereaging 4.75-5 live weight at 8 weeks.

Back