Weed pictures

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garden lady

Reaction score
I tried to look these up and weed 1, maybe ground ivy or common mallow? Weed 4 common mallow? Weed 3 and 5 plantain? Are any of these safe to eat for the rabbits?

Attachments

• weeds 1.jpg
    weeds 1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 1,905
  • weeds 4.jpg
    weeds 4.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 1,905
  • weeds 3.jpg
    weeds 3.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,905
  • weeds 5.jpg
    weeds 5.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,905
I agree, definitely Plantago major. One of the best weeds for bunnies and useful for poopy butt. And the other two are both one of the mallows. Malva neglecta, I think, or it could be Malva rotundifolia. It doesn't matter because they are both eminently edible for bunnies. Edible for people too!

FYI, Malva gets a lo-o-ong taproot, so if you don't want it somewhere, move it when it is little.

MamaSheepdog":3seetsk3 said:
FYI, Malva gets a lo-o-ong taproot, so if you don't want it somewhere, move it when it is little.

I think I brought all of this with cow and horse manure. It seems to really be thick where we had the manure piles.<br /><br />__________ Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:25 pm __________<br /><br />Thank you all. I have been pulling grass and weeds all around these and not pulling them until sure.

MaggieJ":21ssizm9 said:
Mallow's tap root is fairly easy to pull

It depends on where it is- I can pull it out of our 1/2 wine barrels with ease, but if it takes root in our decomposed granite there is no way it is coming out without explosives. :x

MamaSheepdog":dy7i1c7v said:
MaggieJ":dy7i1c7v said:
Mallow's tap root is fairly easy to pull

It depends on where it is- I can pull it out of our 1/2 wine barrels with ease, but if it takes root in our decomposed granite there is no way it is coming out without explosives. :x

LOL, MSD. It occurred to me after I posted that your mallow might be more vigorous than ours, since your climate is warmer. This stuff grows all over the pathways in the veggie garden... as well as elsewhere. I pull it and if the roots come out, the buns get the whole plant. If it breaks off... Oh, well.

Tonight they are getting something new: some leaves and flowers from our Jerusalem artichokes. We recently noticed that the two tubers that Brody gave us a few years ago have become quite a patch. :bouncy:

MaggieJ":31zobky5 said:
It occurred to me after I posted that your mallow might be more vigorous than ours, since your climate is warmer.

I almost broke my tailbone once when I let one get established in a planter bed- I went toes over teakettle! I got about a foot of root, and the diameter was at least 1/2" where it broke the root.

My friend used to grow Jerusalem Artichokes! I confess they weren't really my cup of tea, but now I am considering them for the rabbits, since they are so hardy and vigorous. :)

The buns love Jerusalem artichoke tops. They are actually a type of sunflower that grows wild in prarie states. If you let them go to seed they produce a seed that wild birds flock to. I believe they are native to the US. American Indians ate both the tubers and seeds. The tubers are supposed to help with diabetes. The sweet taste comes from inulin, not sugar.

Latest posts

Back