weed id please!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty positive the purple deadnettle is safe. Multiple sites say they feed it to rabbits, and humans can eat it too.
However, I just found this on a website explaining how henbit is edible for humans: "By they way, there are no poisonous look alikes. As for toxicity, [humans are] safe but it has causes “staggers” in sheep, horses, and cattle."
so, the henbit is probably not good for rabbits. Maybe in small quantities, if they like it, they'll eat it without becoming ill but I don't think its safe to feed them as everyday greens.

Your chickweed looks like Mouse-Ear Chickweed to me (Cerastium, probably Cerastium fontanum)

We have some in our yard, along with common chickweed (and a lot of other "weeds", quite a few of which I have collected seeds from), and I had a lot of fun last summer researching plants and botany, with my hopes of future rabbit-raising in mind. (Things are only just starting to grow again after this crazy weather!)

It is classified as a separate genus from Common Chickweed (Stellaria media), but from my research is seems to be just as edible. (Though us humans apparently prefer it cooked in order to reduce the fuzziness of this mouse ear variety.) That said, since I don't have any rabbits yet, I haven't verified anything.

A few tips for more definite ID: In both chickweeds, a line of hairs runs down one side of the round stem, changing sides at each joint. Mouse-ear is quite fuzzy over the whole plant, but the thicker line of hairs may still be able to be differentiated from the rest. The stem's unusual inner core, stringy and slightly elastic, can be exposed by carefully bending, twisting and pulling the stems. The core is easiest to reveal on young plants, with older ones I have had best success at the joints. Flowers are star-like, tiny and white, with five deeply cleft petals that can look like ten, and five sepals.

Back