Weaning Rabbit Off Pellets

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paper_crane2

Reaction score
How long of time should I take to wean a rabbit off of pellets and onto sprouted fodder and other greens? A couple weeks?

Thanks!

It depends on the rabbit and how the transition progresses. I think a couple of weeks is too fast, unless the rabbit is already accustomed to eating greens. I've always offered the pellets in decreasing amounts until the rabbit loses interest in them.

Last time I bought new rabbits it took about a month before I was comfortable about discontinuing the pellets. During this time, I first introduced hay and the safest of greens then gradually added the grain and other greens. Once the rabbit is eating those well and with no problems, it is just a matter of changing ratios until the pellets are gone.

Please remember to give the rabbits a trace mineral salt block if they are not getting pellets.

I try to feed mostly greens but I don't like to get them off pellets entirely. There are times when the weather or other factors keep me from gathering greens and I want to be able to put them on pellets to carry them through.

That's a very good point, Hoodat. Here, on those days when we can't gather, the rabbits are still receiving free choice alfalfa hay and their portion of whole grain, which serves much the same purpose. Feeding only fresh foods could at times be problematic.

Latest posts

Back