We have our first bunny emergency

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoosterMania

Reaction score
We have a 7 week old kit that has lost the use of it's back legs. It's been on grass. There is foul smelling feces stuck to its fur. It escaped the tractor yesterday so right now my only guesses are it either got frightened and broke it's back or it ate something poisonous. The other for kits seem fine and they escaped and were recaptured yesterday morning. Any ideas?

If I really wanted to save it I would be to treat for dehydration first. Pedialyte or a homemade electrolyte solution. Dropper fed if necessary. If any more come down with symptoms, take them off grass immediately and get them on oats and hay.

Even if they are just meat rabbits there is value in trying to save them. There is much that can be learned.

I don't know all the things that can cause rabbits to lose movement in their hind legs, but I have seen people on here mention that rabbits have recovered from such a condition in certain circumstances.

The most probable possibilities are:

Broken back, no recovery
Bruised back, recovery might happen with confinement and rest
E. Cuniculi, recovery might happen with treatment
Poison, recovery might or might not happen

Look at the rabbit to determine whether it is in pain. Things like squinted eyes and grinding teeth can indicate pain. You can give up to one chewable baby aspirin twice a day for pain, or willow twigs. Or you may elect to put the kit down... especially if its condition worsens.

I would basically begin treatment for bruised back. I'd confine the rabbit to a small carrier (or a small Rubbermaid tote with decent depth), with food and water or electrolyte solution within easy reach. We have one our wry-neck (E. Cuniculi) rabbit lives in. It has the lid off during the day, with a bungee holding the door on, and gets closed at night. We put a makeshift wire floor in it, so he isn't in the bedding. You could also start treatment for E. cuniculi, but I don't know that you'd want to, since he's a meat bun. Might just confine him, limit movement, and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back