We Have A Bleeder!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyva

Reaction score
Today was the end of quarantine for our new rabbits. So I moved them to the main barn. I was keeping them in my stock trailer, makes a nice quarantine area if you put a tarp on the sides. I will have to say that the champagnes were a joy to handle. The New Zealands not so much. I lost some skin in the process. Maybe it is just lack of handling, being isolated in quarantine, but if I end up seeing a pattern of bloody arms and getting grunted at, it would be awfully easy to just have champagnes. Next time I'm going in with chainsaw chaps and welding gloves. Maybe a tazer.

Lol. Sometimes it depends on how you pic them up. But I would never expect a new rabbit to just be OK with being lifted, ESPECIALLY, if it's meat stock and NOT pet.

andyva":12bns48b said:
Next time I'm going in with chainsaw chaps and welding gloves. Maybe a tazer.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It is true that it may be a bit soon to expect all of them to have warmed up to you... but then... there is nothing wrong with having just champagnes.

I'd give the NZs a bit more time, though. :)

from the topic-- I thought the 'bleeder' was a rabbit, not the handler!!! Aftr al, all of US are 'bled' by our rabbits at some [point!!!

andyva":p4ruof6j said:
Next time I'm going in with chainsaw chaps and welding gloves. Maybe a tazer.

:rotfl:

Long sleeves and gardening gloves are my friends. :)

Actually, my rabbits are pretty easy to handle, and I rarely get scratched by an adult.

When I pick them up, I put my non-dominant hand on their shoulders and push down, then slide my right hand under their bellies. When lifting, I kind of push my hands toward each other. Never put a rabbit down if it is kicking, or you will reinforce the behavior.

When you have a "struggler", take the time to set it down and pick it up several times until it is calm during the process.

When putting a rabbit back into its cage, always do so rump first so they aren't tempted to jump back to the safety of their home, and do not release them right away- keep pressure on their shoulders until they are calm and pet them a bit, then let them go.

Back