We almost lost Stewart last night....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Typykal

Reaction score
Stewart was our very first rabbit. He is a particularly spoiled rabbit that lives in the house and is our constant companion. Stewart has his cage located back in the hall by the bedroom, but it is mostly left open and he comes and goes as he pleases and chooses to spend most of his time with us, lounging out on the couch like a cat or underfoot begging for treats (and he gets more than his fair share!). Unfortunately Stew is a bottomless pit of a rabbit with no self control. He'll quite literally eat as much food as is available to him so we do control his meal times to keep him in relatively trim shape.

I usually put Stewart's bowl in his cage when he needs feeding and that's that...he'll eat and come back out to join us in the living room when he's finished.

For some reason I was compelled to feed him in the living room last night so he could stay out there with us. He got his usual amount and I set it on the floor at the foot of the couch. I was half watching TV and half watching him when his body language just seemed off. His spine arched up and he started to teeter back and forth on his toes. I remarked to my fiance that something was wrong with Stewart and got up immediately. Within just those few seconds Stewart face planted into his food bowl in a spine arched, legs stiff in a prone position. I grabbed him and flipped him on his side and pried his mouth open and began pulling a very large amount of food from his mouth with my pinky finger. Then I tipped him up side down and started shaking him him, put him on his side again and continued to pull more food out.. had to repeat this struggle several times...He was completely unresponsive for about 2 minutes until finally I cleared enough space and he could breathe again.
Stewart had quite literally stuffed all available space he had with food and nearly choked to death.

Within ten minutes Stewart was his normal self again, looking for more food, and you would never know that he had just had a near death experience. Terrified me though, I won't soon forget it. He got the rest of a ration by hand a few hours later...one pellet at a time...apparently he can no longer be trusted to chew and swallow. We used to use and old trick on horses that would "bolt" their feed, a few large smooth stones in the feed dish so they have to slow down and pick around the rocks, all the while taking time to swallow. I guess I'll be giving this a try on Stewart.

I've checked his teeth and all seems normal - as far as a can tell this would appear to have been caused only by the way he eats his food so fast. I sure am glad that I had just by pure chance opted to feed Stewart 2 feet away from me last night...if I had gone about the usual routine and fed him in his cage he would have been out of sight and undoubtedly would not be here today.

It was a pretty disturbing thing to have happen to a beloved pet and has been weighing on my mind since I woke up.

I thought I would share the experience and also wonder if any of you guys have ever had this happen? Searching the forums turned up zero...am I just that unlucky?

What a pig! Glad you were handy to save him.

I know I tend to eat too fast (not that fast, though!) when I am overly hungry. Maybe a few small meals rather than one large one would be safer... That way he would not be ravenous when presented with his food bowl. Some grass hay will also provide safe, slow food for him and should help curtail his endless appetite.

Well he is a bonafide grazer throughout the day....he has good quality timothy grass mix all the time, though he deems a lot of it sub par to his standards so quite a bit of it gets trashed when I clean his cage. He gets a baby carrot here, an apple slice there, throughout the day and has a particular affinity for his dehydrated papaya treats that we give him periodically throughout the day. I give him his main diet of pellets half in the morning and half at night..

Ravenous he shouldn't be, but like I said - he is a bottomless pit for food and since he is just our companion bunny, he's a solid 5 lb not-so-mini rex.
I'll give it a try to see if three feedings a day on the pellets will help him to control the rate at which he eats.

I sure am glad I was right there too - we love all of our rabbits, but Stewart was our first and is our only house bunny so we are so very fond of him. It would have been a very sad time for us had we lost him.

Seems to me you are doing all you can to keep him happy, healthy and safe. I would imagine it was just a freak accident, but observe him while eating for a while to see if he always wolfs his food.

wow what a scarry experience. it seems like you are doing all the right things for him..glad you were able to save him.

How very scary! :p What if you used something like what they make for kitty kibble? Like a ball or something, with holes in, that releases feed as they roll it around. It's meant to be for treats, but it could slow his eating down, and be fun for him at the same time. I don't know how big the holes in those things are, but just tossing a thought out there. You could probably even make your own version.

Glad he's ok!

Thanks guys - I feel very lucky today...it's not often we get the chance to learn from disaster without having to pay the very dear price for the lesson. Stew's a happy bunny today as usual....totally his normal self - surveying his territory and loyal servants from his perch on top of the back of the couch.

fuzzy9":189x83u6 said:
How very scary! :p What if you used something like what they make for kitty kibble? Like a ball or something, with holes in, that releases feed as they roll it around. It's meant to be for treats, but it could slow his eating down, and be fun for him at the same time. I don't know how big the holes in those things are, but just tossing a thought out there. You could probably even make your own version.

Glad he's ok!

That's a great idea, and I'm sure he'd love it... he has a straw ball with a bell in it that he likes to toss around the living room so it wouldn't take much to teach him to work it. We'll pick one up the next time I see one and do a little experimenting with it to see if it will work...how much food it will drop. Maybe it will help keep the pudge off of him too. :lol:

Latest posts

Back