Way of marking kits from different litters?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZachsRabbits

Reaction score
I have two black dutch does due in 2 weeks. One is proven mother who can take care of her kits and the other is a first time mom whose kits I could foster to the other doe. The kits should all be black and I need a system of marking kits so I don't confuse the kits for the wrong parents?
Any Ideas?

I like the sharpie on the ear/paw idea! If your kits are black you can use a white sharpie or silver :)

Oh! I like the shaved spot!
I use Sharpie, but you must re-apply regularly as it gets outgrown and disappears quickly!

If you used little clippers you could shave different shapes too! haha :p

Thats true... the sharpie might come off quicker than a shaven spot can re-grow. But I check my litters multiple(multipleee) times daily, so re-marking over the fading spot wouldnt be a problem :)

I use colored sharpies when I foster kits.

They usually don't have any hair to shave when I move them.

And I check them every few days so it's easy to re-mark them.

Grabbing the little buggers gets to be a pain once they're out of the nestbox but it's do-able.

TF3":y3ya30sa said:
I use Sharpie, but you must re-apply regularly as it gets outgrown and disappears quickly!
Use red. I've had it last two months on rabbits. Black not so much. :x It wears off the fastest...

Homer":hx1s04ai said:
TF3":hx1s04ai said:
Use red. I've had it last two months on rabbits. Black not so much. :x It wears off the fastest...
Thank you! Black does wear off pretty quickly, and I hadn't even tried another color. :)

It might be good to mark the doe or the cage of the doe with the marked litter, just so if you have occasion to get both litters out, there's no mistaking who's whose.

a7736100":14iceb76 said:
Mark ears with a Sharpie one litter.

Sharpie works, but must be reapplied often, as mom with groom it off. A small dot tattoo or even a dot of nail polish will last longer. <br /><br /> -- Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:58 pm -- <br /><br />
Homer":14iceb76 said:
TF3":14iceb76 said:

Good to know...black wears off SOOOO fast!

Latest posts

Back