Watering questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamond

Reaction score
SO I bought some flip-top bottles about a month ago and none of my rabbits have been able to figure out how to drink from them. I have tried several tactics, unsuccessfully. The problem which I see is that the little toggle valve that releases the water must be pushed, forcefully, UP in order to release a drip. The rabbits lick, then bite DOWN on the valve to try to get water, do not get any, and give up. SO the bottle remains full and I have very thirsty rabbits. SO I try releasing a drip or two with my finger, the rabbit licks it off the finger then tries to lick/ bite the valve again, gets no water, and gives up.

So now I am reluctant to try some of the nipple/valve type systems that can be attached to a reservoir. What I want to know is, how does the valve system work with these waterers (the kind with a metal valve that threads into flexible pipe)..... it seems to me that if the valve released water when pressed DOWN or IN then the rabbits would have no trouble figuring out how to drink. But if they are all like the crummy flip-top bottle valves, I am afraid of investing the money into trying something that may be destined to fail.

In the meantime I have been buying ceramic pet bowls at the thrift stores to use as crocks.... can at least get more water to my buns but they take up room in the cages and get floaties in them.

I couldn't ever get my rabbits to use those push-type valves. I think they're too difficult for even an adult rabbit to operate. It seems to me that they make sense to some humans (who are mainly trying to prevent dripping bottles), but not at all to the rabbits. I went back to the ball tips until we got our auto-water system.

The valves for automatic waterers (I have Edstrom) don't need to be pushed, just wiggled.

I was looking at the Edstrom valves in the Klubertanz catalog.... thanks trinityoaks. I am glad my bunnies aren't the only ones who couldn't figure out those valves on the flip-tops. What a shameful waste of money. I only bought 2 bottles, but it was at retail prices.... and now they are useless. Might as well throw them away.

DON'T throw them away!
Take a piece of Match stick and wedge it into the spout to cause a slight
leak/drip. This will help the rabbit to realize what it is and where
the water is coming from. Once it gets the idea you can remove
the cause of the leak/drip and your rabbit will do what needs to
be done. Try this before you toss them in the trash!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Diamond":3ki5p1rz said:
So now I am reluctant to try some of the nipple/valve type systems that can be attached to a reservoir. What I want to know is, how does the valve system work with these waterers (the kind with a metal valve that threads into flexible pipe).....

I had the same exact situation! Mine would NOT use the bottles that you described which irritated me because they cost so much and were worthless. I bought the automatic waters from ebay and they work great. All but one of my rabbits figured them out the first day! They aren't near as stiff and the water flow no mater which direction they are moved, up, down, in, out, doesn't matter, it flows!

Here is a video showing my system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2t_rYtHJqk

Legacy":xpbtchot said:
Diamond":xpbtchot said:
So now I am reluctant to try some of the nipple/valve type systems that can be attached to a reservoir. What I want to know is, how does the valve system work with these waterers (the kind with a metal valve that threads into flexible pipe).....

I had the same exact situation! Mine would NOT use the bottles that you described which irritated me because they cost so much and were worthless. I bought the automatic waters from ebay and they work great. All but one of my rabbits figured them out the first day! They aren't near as stiff and the water flow no mater which direction they are moved, up, down, in, out, doesn't matter, it flows!

Here is a video showing my system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2t_rYtHJqk

Tell me about the piece that goes in the bucket, i have never been able to get mine to seal, it leaks continuously, so know the bucket is outside in the backyard on the ground.

I had the same problem with the flip-top bottles and my rabbits, so I added it, as a second bottle on the guinea pig cage and he learned how to use it. I loaded it with ice, the resulting cold water, may have been his motivation. :)

skysthelimit":1s4467pb said:
Tell me about the piece that goes in the bucket, i have never been able to get mine to seal, it leaks continuously, so know the bucket is outside in the backyard on the ground.

It is just 1/4" thread. We just used the drill bit that looked slightly smaller than that. Not sure what size it was. Out of 4 buckets only one leaks but it's not a problem for me.

If I needed to stop a leak, I think I would fist try the white, stretchy, plumbing tape wrapped around the threaded end then screwed in. If that didn't work, I would get a small tube of silicone caulk.

Latest posts

Back