WARNING: Water Kefir does NOT prevent enteritis

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A while ago I posted about my use of water kefir instead of ACV, apple cider vinegar, in the rabbits’ water.
I made the claim/assumption that it would be good for intestinal health.

I want to report that, unfortunately, it has NOT proven to be that magic elixir for my rabbits.
I used it for months, perhaps as long as a year, and during that time
I did NOT have the problem free herd of my dreams.
In fact, I lost a lot of rabbits to enteritis.
It was very discouraging and I finally made the decision to STOP using the water kefir.

I have not used the water kefir for about a month now and the rabbits actually seem to be doing better.
I don’t know if the absence of the water kefir has made the difference but I have not consciously changed anything else about how they are cared for. I am just grateful that they seem to be doing OK for now.

I regret that I encouraged others to use this with their rabbits.
I can only hope that no one else took my advice.
If you did, and had similar problems, How can I make it right with you?

In my experience in humans, water kefir never made the cut. We used it for about two years. In my experience, Jun tea, ACV, the juice from fermented vegetables, beet kvass, raw yogurt and even live ginger beer had a better effect on our digestion.

The best you can do is keep people posted on what you experience, which is exactly as you have done. Thank you for the update.

I also salute you. You are a better person than most. It is hard to say "I was wrong." You probably fall into a tiny 1% of people who post on the internet. That % seems quite a bit higher on this forum, though. :)

Latest posts

Back