**WARNING** graphic...necropsy pictures

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaDani

Reaction score
My does had litters 2 months ago (Dec 3-6). There were 24 babies...one was a still born and one died a day or two later, bringing us to 22 kits. They did great until 3 weeks old. In the next week, we lost 4. Since then, we've lost 7. 1 of the 7 jumped from my arms on concrete so I know why that one died. 2 of them I found dead today. We're now down to 11 of the 24. I'm at a loss why. There have been no signs of illness. They are all hopping/running around fine the day before then they are dead when I find them in the morning. Today I decided to try a necropsy. I've never done one so I don't know what I was looking for. The other is in the fridge if I have to check him/her too. Any ideas on what's going on??

The first thing I noticed was the bladder. He/she really had to pee!
DSC05544_zpsbcb25f78.jpg

Zoomed in b/c I saw this:
DSC05545_zps15f56145.jpg

I opened it and the stomach:
DSC05546-001_zpsfa6d33ba.jpg

I noticed this on the liver and wasn't sure if it was normal:
DSC05548-001_zpsfca77a4d.jpg

I opened it:
DSC05549_zps1963c422.jpg

I'd say mucoid enteritis

That jelly like clear liquid in the small intestines is not normal and the colour of the cecum looks off, was there a nasty rancid smell emanating from it?

I would cut back on pellets and give them good grass hay and a bit of oats to see if it clears up on its own.

Entropathic illness is what it looks like to me.

You'll need to breed that out of your rabbits over time.
To help you can feed hay at least every other day.

Dood":10deh2at said:
I'd say mucoid enteritis

That jelly like clear liquid in the small intestines is not normal and the colour of the cecum looks off, was there a nasty rancid smell emanating from it?

I would cut back on pellets and give them good grass hay and a bit of oats to see if it clears up on its own.

I didn't notice a strong smell but I'm also getting over a head cold and am still slightly congested. It is interesting that this is what you're saying. These kits weaned at 4 weeks and after we lost a few I searched and found out about weaning enteritis. I made most of their diet oats and hay. We didn't have any die until I increased the ratio to mostly pellets. They are currently about half and half.

Latest posts

Back