Warbles---

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honorine

Reaction score
I hate warbles, they really freak me out and I'm no sissy. They are the number 1 reason I have not tried to set up a colony, because the only time I've had problems with warbles was when a rabbit got loose and was on the ground for days, she had multiples. Other breeders that I know that have had problems either put their rabbits out to graze or have wooden bottoms in their cages. So, how to avoid warbles? Do others here have problems with their 'on the ground' colonies? What about fleas? The occasional loose rabbit that I get because my son doesn't always close doors have gotten fleas as well as warbles. Warbles aren't just gross and yucky, they can take quite a toll on a rabbit. I knew someone local who had Flemish Giants, she kept them in a pen/colony on the ground. They ended up dying from the high numbers of warbles they had, or so it appeared. Maybe my area just has a lot of warbles. Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.

My rabbits are in an indoor colony with a wooden floor. I've never seen a warble. I know they exist here in Ontario, but I think we are too far north for them to be a major problem. Or maybe the difference is that my rabbits are in a shed.

We have alot of poultry that have pretty much decimated the insect population on or farm. Muscovy ducks are particularly good fly catchers and bot flies are big and juicey so they try really really hard to catch them.

When we first moved in 26 years ago, there were bugs everywhere and a few bunnies in the colony would get warbles each summer but they are fairly easy to remove and once we knew what to look for we caught them before they got too big.

Yes they are gross but so is rabbit poop, it's just another part of being a farmer.

I've never had fleas on my rabbits and i don't know if flea sprays for dogs and cats is safe for bunnies.

Maybe our free range chickens help keep the insects down. I know we have fewer insect problems now than we had when we first moved here.

I believe flea powders and sprays made for kittens are generally considered safe for rabbits, but not necessarily those made for dogs. I would recommend DE as being safer than any chemical product.

MaggieJ":3ibfkbhc said:
Maybe our free range chickens help keep the insects down. I know we have fewer insect problems now than we had when we first moved here.

I believe flea powders and sprays made for kittens are generally considered safe for rabbits, but not necessarily those made for dogs. I would recommend DE as being safer than any chemical product.

How do you put the DE on the rabbit (or dog or cat for tht mater) without them breathing the dust?

I put it underneath the cages to stop flies (man oh man it works GREAT for fly control) but I have been worried about the breathing hazard so havnt put it on anyone.

From what I have heard you just put a very small amount in your hand and work it into the fur, avoiding the head area. I've never actually used it, but have heard good things about it from others.

Mickey328":1xgwxehg said:
hmmm...still wondering what the heck a warble is, LOL. Maybe I don't wanna know??? ;)

Its a maggot that lives under the skin and eats the meat of a live animal.

Stuff of nightmares really :shock:

We found a young rat that had three in its neck. Ugh, awful! Horible way to die! We poured boiling water over the poor thing as it was fresh dead and the warbles were still just digging their way out of it................

My eyes are squinching shut at the memory.<br /><br />__________ Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:59 pm __________<br /><br />Is there a difference between warble and bot and wolf larva or are they all different names for the same thing?

Mickey328":2bcfw6ar said:
hmmm...still wondering what the heck a warble is, LOL. Maybe I don't wanna know??? ;)

Bot Fly larvae...don't google it before you go to bed! :x

We have bot flies and horse flies. I worry more about the horse flies, they hurt!
Never had a warble get any of my animal's skin. Bot flies lay eggs on my horses, dewormer fixes the issues they cause. Horse flies I stomp on when I can catch em.

Latest posts

Back