Wanting Wool

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnerSurvivor

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was hoping to get some Angoras for wool production but I really dont want to groom every day. I would really like to clip the wool off their faces and "private" areas then hopefully not do a whole lot of maintenance until it is time to harvest the wool (much like sheep). So is there a breed that I could do this with? From what I have read it would be Giants or French.
Thanks in advance

Hmm...I don't have a wool breed but I know others here do. Hang tight and I am sure someone will respond soon! And WELCOME!

I love the French Angoras. They don't seem to mat up as fast or as densely as, say, an English...and the best part, they don't get wool on their heads so no worries about clipping the face! I don't shave their privates though, haven't yet had any issues with bits clinging to the fur.

And welcome!!! :)

I have French angoras and only groom (quick comb through the wool) once or twice a week for about 5 minutes tops. Harvesting is about every 3 months and takes me about an hour over the course of two days. I harvest by "plucking" which is combing with a stiff toothed (?) comb and only clip once a year in late June for our hottest temperatures in July and August. I have found plucking to yield much nicer and useable wool than clipping. The French have "clean"/un-wooled faces and feet and their bellies have very little short wool on their bellies.

Thanks for the reply's. My issue is that I work insane hours during the summer often gone for up to two weeks at a time doing road maintenance. I do have a fiance who takes care of my rabbits but I think it would be to much to ask for her to get home from work then have to feed water and then take each rabbit out and groom it. Could I clip the wool once a month during the summer then just collect it the other 8 months of the year? (when its ready I mean)

I like to groom my Satin Angoras once a week, with a blower. This gets everyone handled too. The breeder I bought my stock from, only grooms once a month. ADULTS do not mat as badly for sure. I wouldn't get babies, any breed of Angora with it's junior coat is harder to maintain. A lot of people just clip it all off.

You could also clip the fiber off during the summer. I have had no issues leaving my rabbits with a pet sitter who only feeds and waters. My only direction then is to make sure everyone is eating and drinking. I do have them watch for wool block, or tell me if they notice a lot of hair in a cage.

Where are you located? Going to a show and seeing the breeds in person, is the best way to get a feeling of how hard the maintenance is. I would also ask a breeder for help selecting one that is lower maintenance. And like I say, go for an adult - much easier!

Oceanrose":3cf8f4if said:
I like to groom my Satin Angoras once a week, with a blower. This gets everyone handled too. The breeder I bought my stock from, only grooms once a month. ADULTS do not mat as badly for sure. I wouldn't get babies, any breed of Angora with it's junior coat is harder to maintain. A lot of people just clip it all off.

You could also clip the fiber off during the summer. I have had no issues leaving my rabbits with a pet sitter who only feeds and waters. My only direction then is to make sure everyone is eating and drinking. I do have them watch for wool block, or tell me if they notice a lot of hair in a cage.

Where are you located? Going to a show and seeing the breeds in person, is the best way to get a feeling of how hard the maintenance is. I would also ask a breeder for help selecting one that is lower maintenance. And like I say, go for an adult - much easier!

:yeahthat:

Oceanrose":2a180d6v said:

Thanks this is very helpful. Is there a certain age that the coats become less prone to matting or is it dependent on the individual?
I am from MN and would like to go to a show but most are 2-3 hours and a 2 months away yet and I cannot attend any summer shows due to my work. The nice thing about working like a dog for 4-5 months is that I have 7-8 months off a year so as long as I can just clip them during the summer I think I should be fine.

Typically after 6 months of age, the senior coat comes in. My juniors all seemed to molt that final time around 6 months, and are getting in nice easy care adult coats now. All are around 8-9 months of age.

Shepherd's Harvest is in May, and that is a great fiber festival, normally a lot of angoras for sale there. It's typically Mother's Day weekend and just east of the Twin Cities in Lake Elmo. Somewhere I have some #'s of breeders I collected last year, will see if I can find them.

Thanks! I never even thought of a fiber festival! I really like sheep so the fiber festival would be a blast even if I couldnt find any rabbits. My fiance is also big into fiber and crocheting so this would be a perfect date just before my work season starts.

I groom my Angoras once a month. Once they are past the junior-fluff phase they rarely mat up. Until they get there, though, all juniors get a weekly brushing/blow out, as they WILL mat up as someone else said. :)

Back