Wanted to rearrange the cages, but not like this

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnClaire

Reaction score
Well, about 3 weeks ago, I set up a new cage line for the growout bucklings. It is against the piece of corrugated tin I am using as a temporary fence (to keep roaming dogs out!) along the north side of the yard. We tied off the frame to a t-post so it would withstand the 50-80mph north winds. So, all day Saturday, we had 25-35mph winds blowing from the SOUTH, and the cages were fine. I added more bricks to the top before going in for the night, and was up all night (can't sleep with the barometric pressure that high!) checking on the cages. About 5am, the wind finally let up, but about 30 minutes later we got a really big hard gust and it started back up again.

The gust caught the east end of the tarp on the cages and whipped the tarp and cages over the fence! At 6am I had the family out there helping to gather up the cages with the poor bunnies in them ... one cage was thrown into the north garden bed, but luckily, that bun landed inside the fence and was the only one loose!

Here is what things looked like when I got back out there after the sun came up:

East end:

West end (see the twisted tarp?):

Well, I spent all day adding new t-posts to replace the ones that were bent, resetting the sawhorse supports, straightening the support, and augering in the moble home anchors I am using now ... might be a little overkill, but this cage line isn't going anywhere!!!

Anchor:

Augered in (whew! that took some time!!!):

Sawhorse tie:

Finally got everything straightened out and reset:

And the whole thing put back together:

I still need to get the bricks on top of the upended trash can I am using as the middle support until I can get another plastic sawhorse, but the cages don't bounce. Luckily, none of the buns were any worse for wear from their wreck.

I also zip-tied the cages to the cattle panel :p

How horrible! Poor buns!

We had 50 mph winds last night- bunnies are intact, but everything else is a disaster.

OMG you guys! So sorry the wind is being so bad out there! Glad that their weren't any bunny losses. Cages look great AnnClaire, so sorry you had to do all that.
Glad You and your critters are ok MammaSheepDog. We've had winds like that recently, its awful!

Those are some serious winds! :eek: So glad nobunny got hurt or lost!

Those mobile home anchors should keep the cages from going anywhere!

Yup. My 6 ft tall cages are wired to the chain link fence. Been some amazing spring winds here already. I was so afraid the ice storm was going to snap the Bradford pear tree the bunnies all live under. Daymares all day at work, worrying about it.
Luckily, got home and everything was fine and thawing out. Gotta love Oklahoma weather.

Glad your buns are ok. Hurricane Sandy flipped our hutches 2x. Our rabbits were fine but no fun setting up temporary cages and rescuing bunnies during a hurricane. Sandy also broke our greenhouse from the supports so that it flew through the air. Wind is deceivingly powerful.

Luvabunny, AMEN! Yes, I had the seniors' shed frames wired to the chain link fence, but the wire I used was not strong enough to take the winds during the blizzard and was out there at zero-dark-thirty in bone chilling winds standing them back up a couple months ago ... so I am in the market for more of the anchors to make sure when I get those clad with the siding and roofs that they don't pull my fence over in high winds ... remember the 80+mph wind storm a few years ago? <shiver> Luckily I didn't have the big frames yet, just the three little cages at that time.

Latest posts

Back