• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rabbit Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Rabbit Pelts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deer Heart":2vix4u7z said:
Celice, I am sorry I may not be able to send you mine until after I move! I didn't have room in there for more than a couple pelts and then immediately realized while trying to set it up that the weather forecast is warming up again, way too warm for skin to be outside in a metal shed.

Okay! thanks for letting me know! and let me know when ever you are ready to sent them :D

Celice":2cnre6lm said:
the way this tannery works is the more pelts you send the cheaper it is.

pricing list: http://www.moytown.com/docs/MMT_priceli ... essing.pdf

they always come back dry tanned and it's really good leather. I started doing it this way because I have a hard time tanning older rabbit pelts since they are much thicker than 8lb meat rabbits.

It says they only accept hides from a specific type of customer

We accept skins/hides from:
•Licensed Trappers/hunters
•Licensed Fur buyers/traders
•Professional Taxidermists
•Native Americans with tribal I.D.
•Ranchers of Domestic Animals (such as bison)
•Government Wildlife Agencies (with supporting documentation)

Or is this strictly in regards to wild game / exotics ?

Most of those rules are in regards to animals controlled by law.
It's just so that they don't end up being sent anything illegal.
Domestic rabbit pelts have remarkably few pertaining laws for a tannery to worry about.

OK...Time to root through the freezer...

This is what I have. Most of the pelts are fully mountable (I know you just wanted back hides), but I have yet to bother with skinning out feet and tails anyway.

I could probably chop the heads off and tan a few masks if anyone is interested. That might sound weird, but here are people who like to mount or simply collect them.

That tiny chocolate jap is starting to get some freezer burn. It's a shame since he'd make an adorable little mount if someone had the skill to work with one so small.

My camera really messes up relative sizes..

Attachments

• DSCN2102.JPG
    DSCN2102.JPG
    428 KB · Views: 2,780
caroline":2pjmzf13 said:
Ramjet":2pjmzf13 said:
It says they only accept hides from a specific type of customer

We accept skins/hides from:

•Ranchers of Domestic Animals

aren't we all rabbit ranchers? :idea:

Sure we are but it appears they want some sort of documentation ?! Or am I reading too much into it ?

I think I'm just going to call them as I'm off the next 3 days.

Zass":2eh2j2m7 said:
Domestic rabbit pelts have remarkably few pertaining laws for a tannery to worry about.

This is what I have. Most of the pelts are fully mountable (I know you just wanted back hides), but I have yet to bother with skinning out feet and tails anyway.

I could probably chop the heads off and tan a few masks if anyone is interested. That might sound weird, but here are people who like to mount or simply collect them.

That tiny chocolate jap is starting to get some freezer burn. It's a shame since he'd make an adorable little mount if someone had the skill to work with one so small.

Yep, that's how it goes.

OH heaven. YESSSSSS!!! I'll take those!!!

Zass":166l0tpc said:

How much for the toes ?

Ramjet":38n7w1u2 said:
Zass":38n7w1u2 said:
Ramjet":38n7w1u2 said:
How much for the toes ?

Not sure what you mean. :?

Someone's toes are in the picture .... It was an attempt at humor ... suppose it failed.

Those are my toes. :oops:
I left them there as kind of a size reference, but...I suppose that failed too, since the camera really wreaks sizes.

I totally didn't notice your toes.....but if that's true that Chocolate GTS is huge!

Zass":29uk0cyz said:
Those are my toes. :oops:
I left them there as kind of a size reference, but...I suppose that failed too, since the camera really wreaks sizes.

The tiles gave me an idea as to the size ....

On a side note , I called that tannery today .... We would still have to fill out the Lacy Act form but it really doesn't pertain to rabbits , no big deal there.

They estimated .... 7 Months to complete an order.

Ramjet":34ffsd39 said:
They estimated .... 7 Months to complete an order.

Yep, but the wait is worth the quality that you get. They are really the only tannery that I found that dose only small animals. Other tannery's like WildLife Gallery charges $40-70 for just ONE rabbits hide and it's because they are 'fragile'.

The chocolate GTS is a senior doe. I think you will be impressed with her size when I get her unfrozen and unfolded. :D

Ohhhhh, I can't wait to see them! how do you get that color in your rabbits?

Celice":2aut28vp said:
Yep, but the wait is worth the quality that you get. They are really the only tannery that I found that dose only small animals. Other tannery's like WildLife Gallery charges $40-70 for just ONE rabbits hide and it's because they are 'fragile'.

I've been doing them myself .... so much hand work but they do come out fantastic.
Now that I've been forced to return to working , I'll likely try them out. The cost isn't bad for 20+ hides @ $7.75 and $5.50 for 100+.
Just seems like a long time .... and I'll have to thaw , flesh and salt dry them which I have never done. (HeLp?!)

Zass":29j7izw5 said:
I didn't even look.. Celice do the pelts have to be fleshed and salted?

From the website

1.Be sure skins are thoroughly fleshed and salt dried before shipping.
(Furbearers for intact fur dressing may be sent trapper dried.)
WE DO NOT ACCEPT FRESH OR FROZEN SKINS.
Do not forget to split and dry the tail!
2.Skins must be completely dry upon receipt or you risk spoilage. Damp salted hides will spoil in storage or shipping.
3.Taxidermy specimens must have all lips and ears turned, tails split, and paws fleshed out.
4.Dry all capes and mounts with the ears folded down toward the center of the cape. This will help prevent them from being damaged during shipping.
5.Fold all skins into pieces smaller than 4 ft. x 4 ft. or they will not fit in our storage bins.

Zass":11ptx8tm said:
I didn't even look.. Celice do the pelts have to be fleshed and salted?

Only if it's big chunks that are left. I usually don't flesh hard until after I pickle. The pickle makes fleshing easier for some reason. for the Tannery I send carolines as they were when she sent them and I don't know if she fleshed but it turned out really good

Ramjet":11ptx8tm said:
I've been doing them myself .... so much hand work but they do come out fantastic.
Now that I've been forced to return to working , I'll likely try them out. The cost isn't bad for 20+ hides @ $7.75 and $5.50 for 100+.
Just seems like a long time .... and I'll have to thaw , flesh and salt dry them which I have never done. (HeLp?!)

Yeah, it's a pretty good deal.

For fleshing just take the larger chunks off once yu thaw them. Make sure to thaw them out is a cool place, keep them out of the sun, (do NOT put them in water) then stretch them out and coat them with non-iodized salt on the flesh side they dry out pretty fast about 24-72hrs.

I wanted to post these to show to my RT friends too. :D
Fully skinned out rabbits.

Rabbits can be traditionally mounted with just a fleshing and a dry preserve. For soft sculpture, I feel it's best if they are tanned with a syntan like ez-100.

This is how I usually skin them for that. It's by far not the only way, or correct way. It's just the way I came up with to best serve the needs of the people I (used to) prepare them for. Now days, It's usually just Celice who can get me off my tail and doing something more productive than taking pics of cute babies. :lol:

Anyway, the main skinning cut is a strait line below the sternum down towards the nether regions. I pull the whole rabbit, head and all, through that cut. Legs and genital area are left intact for ease of sewing. paws are clipped off at the ankle/wrist.

Tail and feet bones are removed with short relief cuts.
You can see the cuts on the bottoms of the feet. Removing them this way prevents tearing of the delicate leg skin. For soft sculpture especially, I feel it's easier to work with intact legs, instead of having to sew them up from foot to groin..

For the toes, I usually leave 1/2 of the final digits the give the claws somewhere to connect securely inside the pelt. Lips are opened up on the inside, ear bases are trimmed carefully remove extra flesh and speed drying.

A taxidermist can and will make more cuts as necessary, in areas of their choosing. I just try to provide as complete of a pelt to start with as I can to minimize unwanted cuts and extra work.

Finally, these are definitely not tanned yet, just salted and drying for someone else to tan. Ears curl as they dry.

Chocolate gts. One paw had to be soaked in salt water to rehydrate it enough to skin...

DSCN2174.JPGDSCN2171.JPG

Jap doe.
DSCN2170.JPGDSCN2169.JPG

Back