Waiting... waiting... waiting...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollitos

Reaction score
Three does due to kindle today and tomorrow or the next day. Rosebud and Cuddles were bred on the same day. Matilda was bred the next day.

I am on pins and needles.

No one is building a nest. Matilda already built her nest but hasn't made many changes to it.

I was holding Rosebud earlier and felt at least one baby move around in there.

THE ANTICIPATION IS KILLING ME!!!

Okay. Whew. I feel better now.

LOL Join the club I will be in the same situation in a week, both 1st time moms. 1 is already digging to china and building her nest.

LOL. I honestly do not get this. Rabbit gestation is so short... why does everybody get in a tizzy about it? Let the girls be... they will kindle when they are ready, almost always without your help. :D

If I'd been doing this for years, then maybe it wouldn't be as exciting. But I doubt it. Birth is pretty amazing no matter what the species. And I'm an impatient person so it's not easy for me to sit by and wait. For health reasons, I was induced before my due date for both pregnancies. I would have gone bonkers with anticipation if I had waited to go into labor on my own. I just think that birth is thrilling and exciting and inspiring and pretty darn cool. Waiting for it to happen is like waiting for Christmas morning. You know it'll get here but the waiting can make you crazy with excitement.

MaggieJ":2xkfztoy said:
LOL. I honestly do not get this. Rabbit gestation is so short... why does everybody get in a tizzy about it? Let the girls be... they will kindle when they are ready, almost always without your help. :D

I wish I could be calm, I really wish I could :) But after what happened this morning, I'm really going to have my face in the nest box. It did nothing to ease my anxiety.

i too am a worry wort.

no wonder there are so many rabbits, it only takes 31 days for babies to hit the ground and then they are prego again!

it's just that once they get to a certain size, they are just a rabbit to be sold, showed, eaten or bred. the kits are the fun part!

Birth is so magical and it is the ultimate "surprise"... when I was pregnant we never found out the sex of the kids- it would be like peeking into the Christmas presents early.

I am always bouncing with anticipation too- doesn't matter if I am waiting for kittens, puppies, rabbits, or goats- it is so fun to see what colors have been hidden away in mom's belly! My belly only held little blond haired folk- maybe that's why I pick breeds with diverse colors! :lol:

MamaSheepdog":2gz9sxgl said:
Birth is so magical and it is the ultimate "surprise"... when I was pregnant we never found out the sex of the kids- it would be like peeking into the Christmas presents early.

I am always bouncing with anticipation too- doesn't matter if I am waiting for kittens, puppies, rabbits, or goats- it is so fun to see what colors have been hidden away in mom's belly! My belly only held little blond haired folk- maybe that's why I pick breeds with diverse colors! :lol:

I'm really bad with the chickens. I'm sure my constant candling is what brought my hatch rate down. And it's hard to ignore the peeping from inside the egg when they're about ready to hatch.

I totally understand the suspense! My dough just kindled and I must have been checking her about 8 times a day since day 28! Of course she kindled while I was at church :lol:!
Hope everything goes well!

Heritage Homestead":14tnqt5c said:
I totally understand the suspense! My dough just kindled and I must have been checking her about 8 times a day since day 28! Of course she kindled while I was at church :lol:!
Hope everything goes well!

Well the holland was a day late, and if I had not stopped on the way to services yesterday and took a look, I would have came home to a dead doe. The first two were dead, and she was straining pretty bad, I could hear her moaning. I had to pull four kits out of her. I have one I know is going to be late, one that is dead on it, but for now, I'm watching the hollands like hawks.<br /><br />__________ Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:04 pm __________<br /><br />
MaggieJ":14tnqt5c said:
Sure it's magical. I am always excited even after seven years. But whether they kindle now or in a day or two... Never seems to bother me much.

For the hollands, I need to be there when they kindle, which is only possible if I can estimate the due date and take off work.

boundarybunnyco":26sl1wo2 said:
it's just that once they get to a certain size, they are just a rabbit to be sold, showed, eaten or bred. the kits are the fun part!

That's right! I always always always get so excited about baby animals on the farm. Most of them go to the freezer in the end. But that whole part from breeding mama to watching over the pregnancy to birth and watching the youngsters grow up is what it is all about!

Good luck with your mama rabbits and kits! I know we'll have an update soon, soon, soon!

It's a hoot, waiting for those youngsters. I've been foolin' with rabbits since the mid-70's, and I still get anxious when their due date arrives.

Now, all of the litters are scheduled to arrive on a Saturday. Each week I breed a small group of 5-7 does on Wednesday. With that day of breeding, most of the does will kindle four Saturday's later.

Grumpy.

we've got 5 litters due in the first week of May, I'm pretty jazzed for that but also wondering where I'm going to put my next batch of growout cages

I have litters on the way too, and need to build some more growout cages myself! I painted the floor panel for my next one yesterday. I'm going to work on it today, but is takes quite a bit of time to cut and assemble the pieces, so it may not get finished in one day.

lostcreekrabbits":3rs6poht said:
we've got 5 litters due in the first week of May, I'm pretty jazzed for that but also wondering where I'm going to put my next batch of growout cages

:lol: :D :lol: :p :lol: :mrgreen:

...yes, that problem has become apparent to my husband and I as well!

Back