VM with two different color eyes?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJCRabbitry

Reaction score
I have a litter in my little barn, my first successful litter of VM's. :D I'm very excited, and i've been watching one kit since he/she was born. Came out looking like a Dutch, although there is no Dutch in the mix. Father is a broken chocolate Lion-lop, and he has purpleish eyes. Mother is one of my FAVORITE does, Zora, my DM blue VM Lionhead. I will include pictures of them below as well. My actual "question" is, how common is it for VM anythings to have two different colored eyes? This baby in question, as of yesterday, has one brown, and one grayish/blue. They are almost 4 weeks old, very healthy. Haven't really checked anyone else in the litter for this, but there are two other VM's, but this one is the best marked. Either way, he/she is staying, regardless. Some in the litter do have blue eyes, which is a first for me as well. This is for sure a breeding I will be doing again. No harsh remarks please, I needed to try pet mixes. Any and all info is appreciated. :pancake:

Attachments

• VM Chestnut Nutmeg 3.jpg
    VM Chestnut Nutmeg 3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 375
  • kisa 3.jpg
    kisa 3.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 375
  • zz 2.jpg
    zz 2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 375
It is quite common for VM to have odd coloured eyes.

A rabbit with two Vienna genes is solid white with blue eyes (BEW) and one copy can create white areas and/or blue in the eyes.

PS - if this pair produced a chestnut then one of the parents must be agouti based. As the doe looks to be a self blue I believe it is the buck who is the source and is a broken chestnut rather than a chocolate

I got one with one gray eye and one with brown top half and gray bottom half.

I would think it would be like the paint gene in horses... where the white patches cross the eye, the eye is blue?

Not really TF3, it's more random. You can even get split and marbled eyes. Marbled eyes do not need the veinna gene to cause either some times...can be confusing.

Latest posts

Back