Very high urine output

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckcs

Reaction score
I have one doe that out pees every rabbit by 3-5 times, easily. She is a holland lionhead mix and weighs about 4lbs. Her pan is 28" x 28" and I fill it with about an inch deep with pine pellets. After 4-6 days at least 1/2 of the pellets are saturated. She uses the same corner but it just spreads out from there. My rabbits twice her size don't even come close to her output. She is with 3 kits right now but her output is high when she is not bred. My other does even when they are breeding don't even come close. She has always been like this but was wondering what might cause this in a rabbit. Her parents don't pee like this however her brother has a higher output. He is more than other rabbits but nothing close to her.

Does she have any salt or minerals besides pellets? Some go a bit crazy with the supplements if left in the cage all the time and then they have to drink more and pee out more to get rid of the excess. Extra pellet consumption compared to others if your pellet is high in salt could also contribute.

I also have that problem with my female. I also suppose it could be the pellets like akane said. I should probably take the advise and see how much salt and minerals is in their food!

This post is really helpful!!

Could just be boredom too. I had to get spring loaded bottles for my guinea pigs because they found it entertaining to shove the ball up with their tongue and let all the water drain out. With the spring loaded tube their tongues got tired too quickly. Cut way down on water consumption with the animals remaining healthy. They turned their attention to those sawdust/alfalfa/honey reddish houses with the straw roofs instead.

Back