Vent

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooh yes you are veryyy correct my friend! I will repost to see if anyone else thinks she is of any show quality , I say booted broken too ! Thanks for naming that pattern ! I’ve never know there was a special name I just thought those were always called brokens as well 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Sure thing!

do not give money until you have the bunny.

I buy and sell (many things) on craigslist, and I have seen a lot of flakes and nutjobs.
The following is not written to defend the seller in the original post of this thread. Clearly, there are issues. Instead, I am writing to defend the practice of requesting deposits.

I ask for a small deposit of $15 per rabbit as a good faith gesture on the part of the buyer. For me, it is a strong signal of commitment that helps me to know, for sure, that the buyer is ready to buy. There seems to be a lot of people interested in rabbits these days, but more inquire than actually buy and it is easy to think someone is ready to buy when they are actually still within the curious stage.

Being “genuinely curious” and “genuinely interested” are two very different stages of buying which, for the seller, requires some way to set each apart from the other. When you finally get to the small deposit part of the conversation, those who are less ready to buy and are still only in the curious stage tend to disappear (or perhaps they’ve found something they like better elsewhere).

Deposits are a useful tool to help serve those who are ready to buy. This is not to say someone is not ready without a deposit. I just sold 2 rabbits without a deposit. This happened because he quickly scheduled a pickup within 2 days and followed thru without any deviations from our text/email agreement. Had he not, I would have requested a deposit to hold them if the time was to be longer.

The following is not written to defend the seller in the original post of this thread. Clearly, there are issues. Instead, I am writing to defend the practice of requesting deposits.

I ask for a small deposit of $15 per rabbit as a good faith gesture on the part of the buyer. For me, it is a strong signal of commitment that helps me to know, for sure, that the buyer is ready to buy. There seems to be a lot of people interested in rabbits these days, but more inquire than actually buy and it is easy to think someone is ready to buy when they are actually still within the curious stage.

Being “genuinely curious” and “genuinely interested” are two very different stages of buying which, for the seller, requires some way to set each apart from the other. When you finally get to the small deposit part of the conversation, those who are less ready to buy and are still only in the curious stage tend to disappear (or perhaps they’ve found something they like better elsewhere).

Deposits are a useful tool to help serve those who are ready to buy. This is not to say someone is not ready without a deposit. I just sold 2 rabbits without a deposit. This happened because he quickly scheduled a pickup within 2 days and followed thru without any deviations from our text/email agreement. Had he not, I would have requested a deposit to hold them if the time was to be longer.
I agree - I don’t think there’s anything wrong with her asking for a deposit - I completely understand that - I ask for deposit as well for the same reasons you mentioned

I always try to be very nice to anyone looking to buy (or get rid of) bunnies - that’s why I was hurt 😔 let down idk 🤷‍♀️ can’t expect others to treat you the same way you treat them - really My fault for letting my guard down for a second and forgetting that - just needed to vent it! 😮‍💨 if I don’t have what someones looking for breed,sex,color,price I always try to recommend them to other reputable breeders that may have what they are looking for - (shoutout to my favorite ARBA registered breeders all over Florida!) I travel all over - i rescue for the most part - I breed on the side to maintain the rescues vet bills and sometimeeeesss I see a rabbit that I think could benefit my breeding program or daughters showmanship (like said one in original post) - if all adds up I don’t mind giving/requesting deposits

it’s the same as any investment to me

I Never want anyone to feel forced into buying one of my bunnies - I ask lots of questions to make sure they will be happy with the bunny they choose before taking any deposit - and I only take deposits on kits that are not ready to go - this reserves that bunny for pickup when it is ready - any bunnies ready for pick up (8weeks+) don’t need deposits as long as they are picked up at the planned time , rescues can only be adopted with an application process so no deposit necessary for anyone needing application

All my bunnies are given with bag of pellets , bag of hay , chew toy , recycled handmade tote bag and a care guide

To further avoid dissatisfaction or a bad reputation - I have special procedures to offer full refunds to anyone if anything was to happen to their bunny after making a deposit - or if they decide not to buy a bunny

If for whatever reason (unforeseen circumstance) someone decides to get rid of a bunny they get from me - I always ask they contact me first , I know I will work diligently to get them a good new home and I know 100% I will provide them quality care they need

There’s still holes and flaws in my system (seems there are some in every system) - “just keep swimming”

Latest posts

Back