Vent Disease, should I burn my hutches?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyTinker

Reaction score
Hi gang, thanks again for all of the great knowledge shared here. We've had 3 good litters so far this year and about to have the 4th tonight or tomorrow. So much of my small success is due to this site!

However, I bought a rabbit that had vent disease and it and my best doe nipped at each other through the wire and now I had to put them both down. I tried antibiotics but it didn't get the job done...

So now I have cages that are made of wood and steel and I'm wondering if I should just burn them or if they are OK after a period of time where the disease will die off 1000%

I don't want to keep it if there is ANY chance of reinfection, what so ever, but I can't find much info on this.

I also had my best doe on the ground for her attempted recovery, any threat of reinfection from the ground she was on or her fecal matter?

Thanks so much!

- Tinker

If I am not mistaken, it's a bacterial issue, and I would think a DEEP cleaning of the cages and some sunshine would do the job, but I am not positive.

The ground issue may be more of a problem, as the bacteria may still have nutrients to survive on there. Again, not positive on that.

Also, know that I believe it can be passed from doe to kit.

So sorry you are going through this.

what were you treating them with, at what dose, and for how long?

The bacteria responsible for vent disease is not very strong outside its host. A good cleaning with either a pressure washer or scrub brush and elbow grease to remove built-up dirt, then saturate the wood parts several times with a strong ammonia solution (about 50/50 water and household ammonia cleaner), be sure to wear a mask to avoid breathing it in. Let the ammonia dry, and set for several days, then another blast with the hose.

Monitor all your rabbits closely. Vent disease is very sensitive to procaine penicillin, when caught early and the correct dose is given at correct intervals and continued until 14 days AFTER symptoms have resolved.... it can be eiliminated. <br /><br /> -- Fri May 09, 2014 7:17 pm -- <br /><br /> ps it is not fecal matter that spreads vent disease. It is by direct contact with the open lesions, rabbits get it on their nose when eating cecotrophs and then it can spread from nose-to-nose contact between rabbits and with water bottles, feeders; and of course it spreads during breeding, but it is not active in the feces.

Latest posts

Back