Velvet Lions?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of people are using Mini Rex in Lionheads in hopes to get Rex fur with a mane, so far I haven't seen an actual "Velvet" Lion. The chances of them being recognized by ARBA is slim to none as they don't have enough differences between it and it's parent breeds. (Not to mention Lionheads keep failing their showings).

As for Mini Rex the max length for ears before they're disqualified is 3.5 inches. A lot of MR look like they're ears are long when they in reality are under the max length just because they don't balance with the body, some still have some growing to do to balance them out some will never have balanced ears.

You can see more on MR on my evaluation page http://www.devonglen.com/mreval.htm

I don't know how the angora gene that creates the mane and the rex gene that creates the plush are going work together?

I just can't imagine what kind of fur is going to happen.

Have a good day!

well, some people will pay big bucks for ANYTHING that they can call 'one of a kind'- Give something afanch scmancyname,charge toomuch for it, make a killing....

If you wanted to make one yourself you would have to buy a minirex ($25) and a lionhead ($25).

Buying the cross will save you three to six months in development time.

Have a good day!

Hooligan Farm":27myuvkc said:
I wonder if they actually get $50 for them

I'll tell you, if I wanted them I'd pay $50 for them.

We've spent hundreds on rabbits for our breeding program.

It's still cheaper than raising horses.

Have a good day!

The general consensus seems to want rare unique things to show off to their friends, so paying $50.00 for something "different" isn't a stretch.

I sell my Mini Rex pet stock for $45.00 ea and have no trouble at all selling them and they are a common breed.

ETA: Although Velvet Lions cannot technically be called a breed because they're not recognized by any National club, or pedigree act.

Latest posts

Back