using type of blowers

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was looking to get a shop vac blower as there is a big difference in price .. I was reading that it can be use.. The other groomer blower are very expensive here.. over 400 with the tax.. Not willing to spend that much.. unless I can find a use one.

I also wonder on how often to use it?

Use a human hair dryer but don't use any heat, just air flow.

Clamp it to a tall lamp and aim it at the rabbit and gently brush to expose the skin then move to a new spot.

I was told not to do that.. and not to brush or comb... just use the dryer... any with wool rabbits will tell you that. And human blower is not strong enough<br /><br />__________ Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:38 am __________<br /><br />found this one.. but I don't think it is strong enough either

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accesso ... Z507808168

I don't have angoras but i groom my sister show Persians and I show a very cotony coated beeed of dog and was assuming the fur would be similar.

Using too much power on a soft long coated cat or dog will cause matts instantly from the fur twirling on itself. I use low air and no heat and brush out from the skin.

If any angora breeders want to chime in I am curios why rabbit fur requires a different treatment.

I ve just done a bit of research and 'blowing' in rabbit terms is different that used in dogs and cats. I was assuming you were trying to dry out a wet rabbit without damaging the fur.

When blowing out an angora you are trying to force any loose hairs out - I call this power blowing and use it on huskys and labs, out in the yard, to remove as much loose but stuck hair before brushing and bathing.

I agree that a hair dryer would not be stong enough for this. High velocity AKA power dryers are in the $150-$300 range, still quite pricy for a few rabbits. Another option is a compressor with an air gun attachment as long as you can control the pressure and make sure it doesn't get too high.

Sweet

Kyle's mini metro power dry will do the trick and is only $70 US.

I don't know if you can get them in Canada and shipping may up the price so a larger but local brand my be cheaper. You may be able to rent one once a month from a local groomer. They are pretty durable, my Double K is over 15 years and still going stong :D so I am not too protective of it.<br /><br />__________ Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:12 pm __________<br /><br />Is this in your neck of the woods? http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accesso ... Z514558423

I've owned the Kool-Dry Dog Dryer since 1998 or 1999. I've bathed my own Bernese Mtn. Dogs at home, bathed my own cats at home, and taken the Kool-Dry to work during the holidays at the two shops I worked at. The Kool-Dry also went to the humane societies, esp. during Operation Pet Lift (aka Operation Safe from the Storm/Katrina), when we bathed/groomed hundreds of dogs and dozens of cats rescued from the Katrina-ravaged Gulf Coast.

The only work it's ever needed is filter changes. I originally paid around $295 for it; current price is $375.

It can be gentle enough to dry a cat's ears and powerful enough to lift a pelted Golden's coat off the body so that clippers can be inserted beneath the coat to give the dog relief.

I have my wool bunnies and I can't afford a fancy dryer. I've never even heard of it till your other post, and I've gotten along just fine without it. I believe its more a choice than a necessity. I groom by hand, as well as many of the other angora breeders around me. Yes, it take a bit with 6 rabbits ( were not going to count kits here) but I enjoy spending the time vein to hands in and getting to assess the situation of each rabbit and get to see their personality more. It's been like that for the last two years, and I wouldn't change it.

I can answer the above questions.

Angora rabbits need a strong blower. A hair dryer won't do it. A blower is needed that is strong enough to split the fur to the skin, work apart the felting and clean the dander off the skin.

Metros are common and fairly inexpensive. I am actually a blower dealer. I use the K9 Fluffer by Electric Cleaner Company. They are expensive. I sell them for 360$ shipping included in the lower 48.
http://www.angorafiber.com

HOWEVER they are worth it if you are in for the long haul. I became a dealer because I was so happy with mine. Best money I ever spent.
I expect it to last 20 years or more.

I blow a rabbit in show coat every 1-3 days, depending on the rabbit.
Rabbits not in show coat, being grown for wool use or brood, I blow once a week, as I am not that concerned about the cheeks, shoulders or lower rear end.

I use a steel comb behind the ears only, and a cat slicker on the front of the back legs and in between the front legs and the ear tips and face furnishings. If I have a mat that got out of hand, I pull it apart with my fingers.

On the show table, I blow immediately before hitting the table, and use the slicker on the ear tips, the stomach and front of rear legs.

I wanted to add, after reading the above post, that yes, with french and maybe satin angora you can get by without a blower, but 'get by'. Really for the best health, a blower is a necessity. Not so much for the care of the hair but more for the health of the skin. Skin sheds in all creatures. In rabbits, it is prevented from falling away by dense wool. For those of you that don't use a blower or get by with a hair dryer, if you put a real blower on your animal, the result would be a snow storm of dander.

I don't keep the angoras on the table longer than a few minutes, and I don't do it that often either.

lonelyfarmgirl":3a47j66f said:
I wanted to add, after reading the above post, that yes, with french and maybe satin angora you can get by without a blower, but 'get by'. Really for the best health, a blower is a necessity. Not so much for the care of the hair but more for the health of the skin.

Im not trying to knit pick, but my rabbits are doing much more than getting by. They have amazing skin And coat health. ( this coming from my last buyer, who is also a vet.) No need for a blower. Sure, their skin sheds, but mine have no hung up dander in their fur as I am very sure to attend to any mat risks, which helps the issue. They also get out and exercise a lot, and have a very well balanced diet.

Not trying to go off topic, just trying to say that while I'm sure they are very helpful, they certainly aren't necessary. I would hate to dissuade someone from getting angoras because they can't afford a $400 blower that they were told is a tool that can't live without.

Can a electric leaf blower do an acceptable job on rabbits? I use one to blow poop out of the cages and play with the rabbits with quick blasts.

Back