Using T-posts as cage supports/legs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frecs

Reaction score
I was talking with someone today about how to support my new-to-me 12.5ft long rabbit cage (5-hole). He mentioned using metal posts which reminded me of a post I'm 99% sure I saw on RT...of wire cages supported on T-posts. I've tried doing a search but can not find it. Does anyone have pictures of cages supported by T-posts or can someone find that thread for me? Please? :popcorn:

that's a good idea! I don't remember a thread like that. hope someone can find the thread :)

Frecs":3seblwbc said:
I was talking with someone today about how to support my new-to-me 12.5ft long rabbit cage (5-hole). He mentioned using metal posts which reminded me of a post I'm 99% sure I saw on RT...of wire cages supported on T-posts. I've tried doing a search but can not find it. Does anyone have pictures of cages supported by T-posts or can someone find that thread for me? Please? :popcorn:

You can use the T post then get something like 1/2 or 3/4" metal electrical conduit and some U clamps to bolt the conduit pieces to the T post. You will have to drill a couple holes in the conduit so the U clamps will slide into them at each T post. This way you can readjust the height later if you want. Also using the round pipe will allow the poop to fall through the cage better than using flat angle iron etc.

I use steel stakes (the type used to build temporary forms when pouring concrete) to support my growout cages. They have holes near the top so wire can be threaded through them.

The cages are hung on the fence with S hooks.

Here is an old picture with my dear departed JRT Chase checking out the new cages:

IMG_7936.JPG

I don't have the original pics anymore and they aren't linked to the thread I posted.
I've since cut the cage, hung it on chainlink, then on a coop wall and lastly sold it. I have a new cage hung on a 5ft chainlink fence and using plastic step in posts to hold up the front.
If you use wire that is thinner than 14g, you will need to buy braces for the bottom, at least every 2ft. Then hang the cage from that to lessen the stress on the weak wire. You can use rebar or order the braces BASS or Klubertanz sells. I have the Z ones, easy to install, don't bend any and poop doesn't pile over it.
image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

The metal posts were 7ft and beaten into the ground, so nothing would make it move.
I used heavy black carpet runner underlayment as a roof and backing [lowes, homedepot has it]. For winter, you might want to get other plastic or something to block more of the front of each cage besides the doors and maybe add a skirt all around the bottom to the ground to help them stay warm and keep drafts away.

Secuono":1a5m6iza said:
The metal posts were 7ft and beaten into the ground, so nothing would make it move.
I used heavy black carpet runner underlayment as a roof and backing [lowes, homedepot has it]. For winter, you might want to get other plastic or something to block more of the front of each cage besides the doors and maybe add a skirt all around the bottom to the ground to help them stay warm and keep drafts away.

Excellent! Thanks! I was talking with a gentleman at church on Sunday picking his brain about how to build a support stand for this 5-holer I got. He was like, "why use wood? use metal posts." And, the light came on in my head saying "oh, oh, oh, I know I saw someone post about do that!" Thanks for the info!

I use T-posts with heavy duty cable ties to hang my cages. The only thing I don't like, is that I can't take the cages out to clean them. Minor detail though.

I recently used electrical conduit as legs for my rabbit pens. They come in 10 ft pieces at lowes or homdepot. I cut them in half and hammer them in about a foot to stabalize the hutch and cage. I secure them with hose clamps.

Latest posts

Back