Urine stains on white fur

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happybunny

Reaction score
My white new zealand has yellow urine stains on his fur. Do I need to give him a bath, or will his fur grow out and new white ones will grow out? How long does this take? Can I give my rabbit a dry waterless shampoo?

It is best not to bath rabbits, at least not in the same way you would a dog. It's really bad for their fur and can, in mostly very untamed rabbits, cause shock. You should find the source of the staining and eliminate that. Is his cage dirty? Is he spraying, if so is he close to a female? Is he peeing on himself, if so why? Is he having trouble cleaning himself, if so why?
If you are able to/after you eradicate the source of the problem then they should go away on their own. If you want them gone sooner then that, you can mix baking soda and water into a thick pancake batter consistency and put it on the fur, let it dry completely and the brush out well with a fine comb. This may take a few applications and a very slight stain may remain depending how bad they are, but it has worked for me in the past.

If it'S a cosmetic concern just live with it. Unless you need a clean rabbit for a show and it's just stains and not soaked to the skin there is no reason to bath it, or put any chemicals on it. Just because something is marketed for pets doesn't mean it's good for them.

You can wipe with a damp cloth on the worst areas to get some of it off, but don't get him too wet.

Where are the stains, is it just from spraying or laying careless in the litter box, or could there be an incontinence issue? If it's reaccuring around his rear, the fur soaked and skin irritated it's another matter, then something needs to be done.

Mostly, a white rabbit should keep himself clean, like a cat. Rabbits groom themselves and like cats they are very opposed to baths. The only place that will often stain are the bottoms of their feet. I would not worry about those--they are like shoe soles, that is how they look and this isn't instagram, it is real life--that is just how white rabbit feet look, often even if they are kept on wire. Keep the cage as clean as possible, and they will keep themselves clean usually.

If some other part of him is stained, then look deeper for why, as per the questions and suggestions above.

Latest posts

Back