Urine Guards

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelhodgejr

Reaction score
Hey there everyone. I've been lurking in the shadows on this forum for a while now and figured I'd join in on the discussions. Hobbies are always better when you can share them with others!

A little background info on my rabbitry. I live in a studio apartment, and decided to embark on the journey of raising rabbits for meat purposes. I like the idea of being as self sustaining as possible, and until I can get a farm, this will have to do. So I placed some vinyl down on the floor, built an auto waterer for the bunnies, and things have been great. Now if i can only get them to get a job and pay rent :) haha.

The one issue that still puzzles me is my rabbits manage to get urine all over the wall. With the vinyl and a wall covering I put up, it doesn't do any damage but it's a pain to clean up. I have urine guards on all my cages, but they still manage to pee between the urine guard and the litter pan. I was curious if anyone has any ideas for what I can do to redirect the urine into the pan.

I can provide pictures and/or videos if that'll help explain the issue.

Thanks for providing any help you can as well as a great community that I'm glad to finally be a part of.

-Mike

Welcome to RT, Mike!

Your rabbits might not have a job, but hopefully they are putting food on the table for you! :)

I raise my rabbits outside, and don't have a solution for you, but there are quite a few here that have at least some of their herd indoors that will hopefully have some ideas for you to try!

What kind of rabbits do you have, and how many? If you have been lurking for a while, you must realize we love pictures, and would be delighted to see pics of your set up!

What if you put some vinyl on the outside of the cage and extending down into the litter pan?

I'm surprised to hear that your landlord would allow so many critters, or do you just have a trio?

I've only had a problem with spraying when I put my rabbits side by side. When I spaced them out, I no longer had overly-aroused bucks spraying at every fluffy critter that they see... And therefore, no longer had to clean the mess off of my windows [and other rabbits].

I'll get a video and post it once i get done cleaning everything out.

I have two bucks and two does, and hope to add a third doe into the mix. All purebred californians.

trinityoaks":2egfnopq said:
What if you put some vinyl on the outside of the cage and extending down into the litter pan?

That's a good idea. I'll have to give that a try.

Pink":2egfnopq said:
I'm surprised to hear that your landlord would allow so many critters, or do you just have a trio?

I'm surprised he's ok with it as well. I did opt to raise my rent though to cover the cost of electricity (from running fans and watering system). As long as I don't leave any long term damage, he doesn't mind what I do. I do feel lucky though, because I know most landlords wouldn't put up with my shenanigans. I think he figured that me being 25, it was going to be a passing fad haha. In fact, he's remarked a few times that he's surprised how serious about it i've become. I'm a work from home web developer, and so the rabbits keep me sane.

michaelhodgejr":28lir26a said:
I do feel lucky though, because I know most landlords wouldn't put up with my shenanigans.

I think a lot of that depends on what type of tenant you have proven yourself to be. Being clean, responsible, and paying your rent on time or early goes a long way with landlords. Good tenants are hard to find, and if a landlord has one, they like to keep 'em! :)

I'm uploading the video to YouTube now, and will post once it's complete. I look forward to any feedback that you all may have or ideas on how I can improve the setup.

MamaSheepdog":1gll0vet said:
michaelhodgejr":1gll0vet said:
I do feel lucky though, because I know most landlords wouldn't put up with my shenanigans.

I think a lot of that depends on what type of tenant you have proven yourself to be. Being clean, responsible, and paying your rent on time or early goes a long way with landlords. Good tenants are hard to find, and if a landlord has one, they like to keep 'em! :)

You're right, and I do go out of my way to leave his place better than I found it when it's all said and done. He did jokingly indicate that because of the rabbits, I must now live here till 2015 haha.

Nice use of space from what I can see (trying to view this at a coffeehouse with friends so no audio and major distractions abound, lol)...and are those Californians? :)

Kyle@theHeathertoft":206j1bm1 said:
Nice use of space from what I can see (trying to view this at a coffeehouse with friends so no audio and major distractions abound, lol)...and are those Californians? :)

Indeed they are!

Very nice!

We had 10 rabbits out on our balcony at one point, which was slighter larger than yours. Where are they urinating? Towards the does, or in any direction? Perhaps moving the bucks to the cages on the far left would solve the problem -- that is if they're aiming toward the ladies.

All the best to you and your rabbits.

They are aiming towards the back, and in fact i think it's the does that are doing the urinating on the wall, because the big puddle o' pee is right below their cages.

The problem is that they stand just far enough away from the urine guard that the urine guard doesn't catch and redirect the urine and far enough back that it misses the tray completely. If they would pee an inch closer or farther away, they'd probably be fine.

I would look at maybe some galv. flashing from any home improvment store and extend those gaurds. It is a very nice rabbitry and good use of space. Keep up the good work!

yes, some of the females will do that. THey back up in the corner as far as they can go. And they miss the tray all together. What you can do if you have room at the back of the cage. Add on to your tray or build another tray that is a bit longer than the cage itself. IF that is not possible . You can push the tray futher back because they dont pee in the front. If you have stoppers in the back. Just cut them or bend them so you can push the tray further back by a inch or so.

I would re-home the 3.5 year old. But if he is a different line . I would use him to breed with the does then let him go. So you can keep back a few replacement females.

Nice californians.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":3a1ak23o said:
yes, some of the females will do that. THey back up in the corner as far as they can go. And they miss the tray all together. What you can do if you have room at the back of the cage. Add on to your tray or build another tray that is a bit longer than the cage itself. IF that is not possible . You can push the tray futher back because they dont pee in the front. If you have stoppers in the back. Just cut them or bend them so you can push the tray further back by a inch or so.

I would re-home the 3.5 year old. But if he is a different line . I would use him to breed with the does then let him go. So you can keep back a few replacement females.

Nice californians.

I can't really move the trays back any further due to the watering system. But when I redesign the watering system, I'll take that into consideration.

I've already bred Gino (The 3.5 year old) with the other doe which is due saturday. I'm also going to give him one more chance at breeding and then likely put him on the bus. He's really old and is definitely proven, but with the younger buck now confirming he's not sterile, I'd like to mate him instead.

It seems that I may have to go the route of putting up the vinyl for now.

Thank you everyone for the compliments and advice!

Nice set up good use of the space can't really comment on urinating as I'm raising in wooden hutches (it's cruel to raise them in cages in this country, apparently, also hutches NEED to be 6 ft by 2 >.< - can't wait to move somewhere remote so I can do what I like)

Saiyuri":14ib363q said:
I'm raising in wooden hutches (it's cruel to raise them in cages in this country, apparently, also hutches NEED to be 6 ft by 2

You have got to be kidding me. :explode: Another case of laws being made by people who know nothing of the subject.

It is rather annoying and get so much grief off my family for raising rabbits for meat as 'you should just buy it from the supermarket' >.<

Although luckily I have a friend who lives in the country and raises chickens and she has been incredibly supportive so that helps keep me sane :p

Back