Urgent rabbit care needed!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jana15

Reaction score
I just got home, and went to feed my rabbit. He was very leathargic and i saw he hadnt eatin any of his pellets since last night. He wont move, and his stomach is very bloated. What should I do? The only thing different I have done is giving him some oatmeal, and some rose leaves/petals. Should I go buy some baby gas drops? And what brand? Please Help!

Brand doesn't matter. What you want is Simethicone and it should be available in the baby section of a good pharmacy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simethicone

You can also try some gentle massage of the rabbits belly to stimulate gut activity.

There is nothing in either oatmeal or rose leaves/petals that should have caused this.

Pull the pellets and give him grass hay to try to get things moving again.

Edited to add:
This advice from Danaus29 on the Homesteading Today rabbit forum:
Bloat
Symptoms, rabbit hiding in corner of cage. Swollen and distended abdomen and stomach area. Rabbit may be squeaking (grinding) its teeth due to pain.

Caused by unfamiliar food, ingesting fur, or rabbit eating too much green food at one time.

Simethicone, any brand infant gas relief drops can be used to treat bloat. Give a dropperful into the rabbits cheek a few drops at a time (allow the rabbit to swallow the drops) by lifting up a lip and dropping a few drops into the space between the teeth and cheek. Let go of the lip and allow the rabbit to swallow, repeat until dropper is empty. Give every couple hours until rabbit's belly is no longer swollen.

I have read children's simethicone drops will help break up the gas. I see maggiej beat me to it, I concur pull the feed and replace with timothy or some other high fiber hay.<br /><br />__________ Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:16 pm __________<br /><br />I have read children's simethicone drops will help break up the gas.

We are getting drops now. How much should I give him? He was grinding his teeth. Should I move him in for the night? It's suppose to drop to the 30s tonight.

Edit--- all they have is tablet, is that okay?

you can dissolve the tablets with a small amount of water and stringe it in his mouth. He is in pain right now.. It might be to late if he is grinding his teeth. It sounds like the temperature change was to much for him .. You have to act fast on this.
You have to give him the gas med every hour for a while then again in the morning. Rabbit cant burp. It has to go through his system. .. Bring him in where it is warmer if you can.... Put him down on the floor and make him move around. And then massage his belly .. Grass hay only at this point.. See how he is in the morning.

I added to my previous post... please check it for advice on how to administer the drops. I'd certainly bring him in where you can keep an eye on him.

Hope he makes it. :clover: :clover: :clover:

Got the drops in him, he guzzled them down, I am guessing they are flavored. He is in a dog crate in the storage room, under the carport with a litterbox and hay(and water of course). I also syringed some Gaterade in him, as well as massaged his stomach. He stopped grinding his teeth, and I think he is doing a tiny bit better than when I found him. I will check on him in a little while. I am praying and hoping he will be fine!

Jana15":1j8oxc9a said:
Got the drops in him, he guzzled them down, I am guessing they are flavored. He is in a dog crate in the storage room, under the carport with a litterbox and hay(and water of course). I also syringed some Gaterade in him, as well as massaged his stomach. He stopped grinding his teeth, and I think he is doing a tiny bit better than when I found him. I will check on him in a little while. I am praying and hoping he will be fine!

I have heard moving around is good. Maybe let him hope around the house. I hope he is okay.

I continued the Drops/Gaterade/Belly massages every hour until 10:30 last night. I checked on him early this morning (prepared for the worst) and was greeted by a happy bunny!
His stomach had gone down dramatically, but it was still a bit puffy, and his attitude was SO much better! We will actually hop around now and kick when I flip him/pick him up like the evil rabbit he is! Last night it was just like holding a stuffed rabbit, you could do anything and he was so still. What a relief for him to be back to his normal self.

Questions: When should I give his pellets and start greens again? I gave him a few more drops early this morning, as well as about an hour ago, is it fine to stop now?

Thanks everyone for their input and kind words during this situation! You guys are amazing! :thankyou:

I don't have any advice for you since I've never dealt with this before, but I'm so happy for you and your bun!

If you can keep him on grass hay and kitchen oatmeal (like Quaker Old Fashioned/Large Flake) for a few days more, that would be best. Then s-l-o-w-l-y reintroduce the pellets. But I do strongly suggest that you keep grass hay available for him at all times.

You had a very close call with this rabbit. Another few hours and he likely would have died. I'm so glad the suggestions you were given helped save him. :)

MaggieJ":24edhsy1 said:
If you can keep him on grass hay and kitchen oatmeal (like Quaker Old Fashioned/Large Flake) for a few days more, that would be best. Then s-l-o-w-l-y reintroduce the pellets. But I do strongly suggest that you keep grass hay available for him at all times.

You had a very close call with this rabbit. Another few hours and he likely would have died. I'm so glad the suggestions you were given helped save him. :)
I completely agree. :)

So glad your bunny is feeling so much better! :)

Latest posts

Back