URGENT/PLEASE HELP! Unusual sores/scabs on rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR_ND

Reaction score
My tiny 6 month old Polish doe has a sore under her chin in the throat area. When I first noticed it last week I thought it was a black spot of hair since she is a broken. The day after I noticed it I went to Kentucky. I just got back late last night and after investigating her "black patch" have determined it is a sore. But I can't figure out what it's from. It doesn't seem to be affecting her, she is still eating great, has lots of energy and doesn't act like it hurts when I touch it. I squeezed it and felt around on it and it seems like a typical scab, but I have no ideal how she could've gotten that big of a scab!
The only thing I can say that is unusual is she has a tendency to lose and gain weight super fast, she also has a bit of a pop gut, but she's had that since she was a baby and I just assumed she'd grow out of it.
My niece's buck (that is a full brother to the doe) that I am keeping for her through the winter has a bare patch with a little bit of sore on the side of his neck, he is acting fine, eating drinking, no loose stools, active and doesn't mind if I touch it.
I was thinking it was from a wire that was on his hutch but now that the little doe has almost the same thing I am beginning to wonder if this might be something much more serious.
I took some pictures with my phone and will try to get them uploaded once I resize them.
Here are the pictures http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/anima ... t=3&page=1
If it asks for a password enter Rabbit

Very odd :shrug:

From your description I thought it might be due to a moist spot in a dewlap crease but it isn't in the right spot.

Then perhaps ringworm - which is actually a fungus and NOT a worm or insect - but it doesn't quite look right either.

Sorry I cannot be more help.

well, you can just treat it like a scab and put some Wound-Kote on it and see what happens.

are your rabbits in wire cages next to other rabbits? is it possible that they could be pulling at each other through the wire?

They are next to no other rabbits, they couldn't even touch each other's hutch/cage if they could stick their paws out the wire.

Miss M":34zrw40e said:
I would put some Wound-Kote (Blu-Kote) or Nu-Stock on it, and see what happens. :shrug:
Okay, I don't have any of that right now, but next time I go to town I'll get some. Do you think Vetericyn will work for now? <br /><br /> -- Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:28 pm -- <br /><br /> I did some research and I am thinking maybe they over groomed themselves because they were bored. So guess what I'm going to be doing tomorrow? Making some toys to keep them occupied. If that doesn't help, then I've no ideal what I'll do.
Any toy suggestions are welcome, and if you think this might be something serious please tell me.

I just had a thought. could it be they have fur mites?

look threw the fur around the area and look for them

MR_ND":9cgm6ejw said:
Okay, I don't have any of that right now, but next time I go to town I'll get some. Do you think Vetericyn will work for now?
Vetericyn certainly wouldn't hurt it, and might help. :)

MR_ND":9cgm6ejw said:
I did some research and I am thinking maybe they over groomed themselves because they were bored. So guess what I'm going to be doing tomorrow? Making some toys to keep them occupied. If that doesn't help, then I've no ideal what I'll do.
Any toy suggestions are welcome, and if you think this might be something serious please tell me.
I haven't heard of this, but I imagine it's possible.

Thankfully, rabbits are easy to please. The main thing is you have to make sure that whatever you give them is safe to eat, or that they are pretty much incapable of eating it.

Paper towel or toilet paper rolls, cardboard boxes (preferably replace tape with hot glue... you can completely close them and cut a 6" hole in one side or two sides, and the bunny has a lurking cave it can rip to shreds and eat), pine cones, pieces of rabbit-safe wood, whole bull thistles (wrong time of year), whiffle balls (it's reported that they prefer two whiffle balls joined by a shower curtain ring), cat toys with bells inside, empty tuna cans with the sharp edges crimped down with pliers, empty soda cans or pill bottles with a couple of beans inside, non-laquered and non-painted baskets (look for tacks around handles), golf balls (especially yellow, I hear), baby keys and other toys like that that can be grabbed by a bunny, etc.

Celice":9cgm6ejw said:
I just had a thought. could it be they have fur mites?

look threw the fur around the area and look for them
Fur mites usually start around the shoulders, not under the chin, but I guess it's possible. :shrug:

I looked them over again and I don't think it's fur mites, I looked through their fur and the skin is clean and looks fine.
Thanks for the toy suggestions Miss M.

MR_ND":3jzwm613 said:
Thanks for the toy suggestions Miss M.
You're welcome! :) You can rotate the toys to keep the interest in them up.

We have one rabbit who loves pine cones. She eats/demolishes a whole pine cone every day. :roll:

Latest posts

Back