URGENT need for advice

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robochelle

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday, we lost 4 kits to diarrhea, the doe had diarrhea as well. Today we have a 4 month old, who is limp, responsive in a flailing blinking kind of way but her Jaw won't move and though her tongue moves she won't swallow water even if I syringe into her mouth.

She had a bunch of stuff in her mouth, like thick vomit, too.

1: WTF is this, is it related to the kits, and can I protect the rest of the community?

2: is there anything else I can do for her or is a quick death all I can offer?

Attachments

• 20220524_171050.jpg
    20220524_171050.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 7
Robochelle, I can't say what caused this with any certainty, but I would guess it is a problem with something they ate. I see you're in Saskatchewan. Is there any danger to them from crop pesticides or herbicides? Any widespread spraying of any kind?

What have they been eating? Without more information, we can't help much. Check feed for signs of mould or other storage issues. If you feed greens, do you absolutely know that they are safe?

There are several plants that are helpful to to combat diarrhea. If you can get them, I suggest feeding a handful to each of your healthy rabbits (and any ailing ones who can still eat) as a precaution and treatment. The leaves of blackberry, raspberry, and strawberry are all great as are the common weeds plantain and shepherd's purse.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago_majorhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsella_bursa-pastoris
These plants are all safe foods for rabbits, with the added benefit of combating diarrhea.

Good luck ... I'll look in later to see if your have added information.

I have had a similar situation and for my rabbits the cause was gas. do there bellies feel bloated. I think the best thing to do is stop her suffering. I don’t think there is anything that can be done.

They get hay out of our hay field, and water from the rain barrels. After the diarrhea yesterday, I'd emptied all the water bowls and replaced with microfiltered tap water - just in case it might be contaminated. I'm worried about the rest of the does this one was kept with; should I pull out the hay that's still there?

Removing the rest of the hay would be a good precaution. Do you feed anything except hay? If you pull the hay, what will they get instead?

It's possible it's a water issue. I've always used the same well water for the rabbits as for us.

Were you able to find the plants I listed? They really do help!

She's passed. I did find out through necropsy that she had food in her trachea and a broken arm. It's possible that she choked on the food then was trampled by her sisters. Sad as that is, it's a relief that it wasn't an illness passed from the kits

Latest posts

Back