Urgent-eye infection

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjane

Reaction score
Hello all, one of my still nursing babies has an eye infection. If I can get it cleared up, would it still be viable for consumption or would it be safer to just dispatch?

Hello all, one of my still nursing babies has an eye infection. If I can get it cleared up, would it still be viable for consumption or would it be safer to just dispatch?
It somewhat depends on how you treat it, and you should look up the instructions regarding the drug you're going to use, but if you're using a topical antibiotic like Terramycin, there shouldn't be a problem. That's the ointment I have occasionally used. Topical antibiotics treat a localized infection and should not end up moving through the animal's entire system.

It is usually when you are giving antibiotics orally or IV that a withdrawal time is indicated. Terramycin, even given orally (to cattle), has a very short withdrawal time. But most common antibiotics have a withdrawal time of 0-60 days, so if the bunny is that young you'd probably be within that period.

However, do be aware that withdrawal times are estimates of how long it takes the drug to clear the muscle down to federally-accepted residue levels - it does not mean that there is no drug residue left, just that the levels of drug in the muscle are deemed acceptable as safe levels for human consumption. Personally, I avoid using any oral, IV or IM antibiotics in my meat rabbits, since I don't want any antibiotic residues in my meat, whether or not the federal government tells me they're "safe." (It makes sense that all the drug residues would be gone at some point, since the growing animal is replacing cells so fast; but I just don't know when that would be, so I decline to take the risk.)

If you don't want to use Terramycin or can't get it, you could try using warm water washes or chamomile tea washes on the eye. I've used this approach to clear minor eye infections in kits, when we catch them just as they start. Once the infection is really set in, though, it seems to take Terramycin to solve it.

Last edited:
It somewhat depends on how you treat it, and you should look up the instructions regarding the drug you're going to use, but if you're using a topical antibiotic like Terramycin, there shouldn't be a problem. That's the ointment I have occasionally used. Topical antibiotics treat a localized infection and should not end up moving through the animal's entire system.

It is usually when you are giving antibiotics orally or IV that a withdrawal time is indicated. Terramycin, even given orally (to cattle), has a very short withdrawal time. But most common antibiotics have a withdrawal time of 0-60 days, so if the bunny is that young you'd probably be within that period.

However, do be aware that withdrawal times are estimates of how long it takes the drug to clear the muscle down to federally-accepted residue levels - it does not mean that there is no drug residue left, just that the levels of drug in the muscle are deemed acceptable as safe levels for human consumption. Personally, I avoid using any oral, IV or IM antibiotics in my meat rabbits, since I don't want any antibiotic residues in my meat, whether or not the federal government tells me they're "safe." (It makes sense that all the drug residues would be goneat some point, since the growing animal is replacing cells so fast; but I just don't know when that would be, so I decline to take the risk.)

If you don't want to use Terramycin or can't get it, you could try using warm water washes or chamomile tea washes on the eye. I've used this approach to clear minor eye infections in kits, when we catch them just as they start. Once the infection is really set in, though, it seems to take Terramycin to solve it.
This is really helpful information thank you. Just what I needed to think through this.

MicrocynAH Eye and Ear Wash. It's OTC stuff but I bought online through some OTC site. I have used it when I noticed my doe probably got peed on from the buck and her eye looked a little funny, sore. It worked immediately. Used on the buck also a couple of times. They don't mind it at all, it's just a wash fluid but seems to do the trick if used early. Good luck.

We get kits with wheeping eye occasionally. I chalk it up as a scratched eye. And a bit of time cures it right up. I have never used a topical or eye wash but sounds like a great idea.
If I was to do anything, probably flush with warm water using an eye dropper, paper towel. Good luck, let us know

Latest posts

Back