UPDATE: Vienna Genetics!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ears

Reaction score
I wasn't quite sure where to post this...

I could use a little help. For my Biology class, we are required to do a poster, and a report on any genetic disease. I chose to do a genetic disease on rabbits. :D Yes, because I love them! Haha, it will make it a lot more fun! ;)

Anyway, so I need some ideas on some genetic diseases in rabbits.....any ideas?
I was thinking, Splayed leg, or something that isn't extremely gruesome. ;)

Dwarfism can be considered a genetic disease because it is lethal to peanuts.

You could include broken because Charlie's can be affected by megacolon and that is directly related to the color mutation.

Hypercalciuria! Or Urine sludge. My personal battle atm lol. There is alot to it. Basically its a metabolism disorder where the rabbit processes calcium incorrectly. Rabbits process calcium differently than all other mammals so it's interesting. It can also be caused by poor nutrition supposedly but in my rabbits it's genetic. If you choose this topic lol, prepare to delve deep into the world of esoteric studies on rats and bookmark everything! Because you won't find it twice :lol:

Max factor. A genetic condition found in dwarf rabbits that can actually traced back to an individual named Max.
It's fairly well understood, and causes all sorts of genetic chaos.

I'm not sure that dwarfism is required for expression, but I've yet to hear about it occurring in non-dwarf rabbits.

Vienna which causes blue eyed white rabbits has some negative traits linked to it, would make a beautiful poster displaying both vienna marked (one copy of the gene) and blue eyed white rabbits(two copies of the gene.)

There is also whatever gene it is that causes kit balding. That last one doesn't seem to be very well studied, but it's nearly always fatal, and from my observations seems to be linked to some serious digestive disturbances.
GEDC0241.JPG
GEDC0244.JPG

Thank you all so much for pitching in!! :D

That website is incredible Homer! Thanks so much! :p I don't think I could have ever found that on my own, lol!

@Zass, Vienna is a really good idea, poster wise. And also I'm partial to it, because I happen to be mildly obsessed with gorgeous Vienna marked bunnies. :D I'll have to ask my teacher about that one. :) (There are some specific requirements like knowing the cause, symptoms, treatment, quality of life, prognosis etc. And since I'm the only one that has ever done a rabbit before, my topic will probably be scrutinized more before I can write about it, to make sure I have all the requirements needed. ;) Classes before me have always done human genetic diseases. So mine will be different, and a lot more fun to write up! ;) :p )
I'll have to look at those 40 pages more closely as well before I decide. Thank again everyone!!!

__________ Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:08 pm __________

Okay, so Vienna it is! :)
I must right a poster and report on it, so any extra info is welcome!

I am specifically looking for:

-What combinations of genes give the Vienna trait

-As much on the inheritance part of it (and the specific chromosome/gene) I can find.

-How many chromosomes do rabbits have. (22 Chromosome pairs....correct?)

As far as I know Vienna hasn't been located. I don't even think they know what chromosome. I do believe that it is inherited independently from broken, which would mean it's not a KIT gene mutation.

Vienna is a semi-dominant mutation which means it expresses differently when it is heterozygous (one copy of the mutated allele) than when it is homozygous (two copies of the mutated allele). One copy generally leads to the animal being vienna marked but they can be completely solid in which case they are called a vienna carrier. Rabbits that are homozygous become Blue Eyed Whites.

If you really need to know the gene where it's located, you might consider doing broken. That is known to be on the KIT gene (which is notorious for causing white spotting on all kinds of animals) and charlies can have mega colon.

If you need any vienna/bew pics, let me know, lol

The big thing about vienna is that it is linked to MDR1 Gene mutations, which causes an adverse reaction to ivermectin.

There are a couple of chromosomes where vienna is unlikely to be (because vienna does not show linkage to genes known to be on those chromosomes).

There are several genes known to have similar effects in other animals (but only very approximately) and vienna might be any one of them, but it might not be either.

As far as I know thats about it.

Bad Habit - any sources for the MDR1 thing?

Thank you guys so much!!!!!

:p I'm just loving this project! It makes me so happy I know what everyone is talking about! :lol: Your detailed response REALLY helped alforddm!!! Thank you! :D

The only thing I'm a little fuzzy on is the KIT gene...it has something to do with broken right? It's not apart of Vienna so I shouldn't include it...correct?

Bad Habit":1ooh9glg said:
If you need any vienna/bew pics, let me know, lol

Yesss please!!!! :D

Bad Habit":1ooh9glg said:
The big thing about vienna is that it is linked to MDR1 Gene mutations, which causes an adverse reaction to ivermectin.

Yeeeess! So Dutch have this problem as well....they aren't considered Vienna though, but they are connected with it...how so though? Any details on this? :)

twr":1ooh9glg said:
Bad Habit - any sources for the MDR1 thing?

I'd love some source(s) on this as well, please! :)

Easy Ears":3ain6tlc said:
Thank you guys so much!!!!!

Your detailed response REALLY helped alforddm!!! Thank you! :D

The only thing I'm a little fuzzy on is the KIT gene...it has something to do with broken right? It's not apart of Vienna so I shouldn't include it...correct?

Your welcome! Yes, the KIT gene is where the mutation that causes Broken has been located. To the best of our knowledge it is not related to Vienna.

twr, found a source for what Bad Habit was talking about: :D

Ivermectin - Often used to treat parasite problems. The correct dosage of ivermectin should be given as 1/10 cc per 5lbs of body weight. (Do not give to Mini Rex, German Angoras, Flemish Giants, Dutch, Silver Fox, Hotot breeds, or any rabbits that are Blue-Eyed Whites/ Vienna Carriers. Theses rabbits have a genetic mutation (MDR1) in a protein that is a part of the blood brain barrier, thus allowing the medication to travel to the brain and cause severe neurological damage, seizures, blindness, and/or death.)

Source: http://obsidianrabbitry.webs.com/health.htm <br /><br /> __________ Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:17 am __________ <br /><br /> Are DT and Vienna connected at all? Are DT Vienna carriers? :oops:

I think there might be a bit of confusion. The a mutation in the MDR1 gene has been proven to cause Ivermectin sensitivity in dogs, however, that doesn't necessarily mean that it is same mutation (quite unlikely actually) or even the same gene that causes the problem in vienna rabbits. Gene function does seem to stay very similar across species, however, gene function also seems to overlap quite a bit with different genes so the problem in BEW's may or may not be caused by a mutation in the same gene.

I think what we have is someone taking the information for dogs and assuming it applies directly to rabbits, and then the information getting repeated repeatedly around the internet.

I could find no information for a mutation in MDR1 having been actually located in Rabbits.

lol I've been too busy working on my own homework to do research for yours ;) . I only know about it as I breed for BEW, was told not to use ivermectin and asked why. Just found it easier to avoid ivermectin based wormers, because I know that it does something with the blood brain barrier and seizures and stuff.

Here is a pic of my son's Vienna Marked Netherland Dwarf buck. Olaf is solid black with blue eyes and is one of the foundation stock for his BEW project. We have another black doe that is a Vienna carrier and we are expecting the arrival of a BEW doe that is being transported from PaSRBA next week!!

image.php

Beautiful picture! :)
I turned in my assignment weeks ago. I'll try to get a picture of the poster I created for it. It's at class now, but when I get it back I'll post pictures. :) <br /><br /> __________ Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:53 pm __________ <br /><br /> Finally got my poster back! Here is a picture of it! :)
w5AK0Zo.jpg

I'm also glad to say my presentation and my report went very well. :)

Latest posts

Back