*UPDATE* Pregnancy Confusion

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReahBean

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
My name is Leah and I'm new to RT!

I know this question has been done to death lol but I'd appreciate any feedback!

I have a mini lop doe who is definitely pregnant, she was ultrasounded at the vets on day 18 and had anywhere from 3to 6 kits. She is a first timer and is about 7 months old.

At the ultrasound the kits looked really small, not grape size like I would expect. More like the size of a pea to small marble?

She herself was tiny when we bought her at 8 weeks.

I was very accurate in writing down the date she was bred to the buck.

She is on day 29 and has her next box but is showing no sign if anything. I haven't noticed kits kicking either.

However she was also put in with a recently neutered male around the same time she was intentionally bred to the other buck.... so its possible her dates could be a week off.

Its worth noting she doesn't want the nuetered buck near her, she bites and tries to mount him. Also when she is out playing she constantly hops around with a low growl/grunt?

I've seen her belly move but pretty sure its just digestion.

The purpose of my rambling lol is:
1. Should I be able to see kits moving if she's at day 29?
2. Could she still be pregnant?
3. Could she have reabsorbed the kits?

Please help :(

I rarely see kits moving - especially on breeds with thicker fur, like mini lops. Usually I can feel them moving, though, if I hold my hand gently on their stomach for a few minutes. My does don't usually make nests this early, they usually wait until like 30 minutes before giving birth. There's still a very good chance she could be pregnant.

I appreciate your reply so much! Thank you!
My husband is still convinced though I'm feeling a little down thinking she isn't, but you've given me hope!

Oh really? She lives in a 8 panel play pen indoors and is very tame, we have a large hutch outdoors where are neutered male currently lives, do you think we should swap them?

ReahBean":39j0tnk2 said:
Oh really? She lives in a 8 panel play pen indoors and is very tame, we have a large hutch outdoors where are neutered male currently lives, do you think we should swap them?

When I bought my Rabbits they were bonded, They live in separate hutches now, but get playdates when my doe is 2-3 weeks pregnant. I don't risk 4 weeks because does can be bred while pregnant. Playdates -I've found- are fine during the middle of pregnancy. Although every doe and buck are different.\

:bunnyhop:

Zass":2co10avn said:
Having them indoors is fine if that is where they are comfortable. I believe the concern was that other rabbits could bother her during delivery.

OK great, yes she doesn't want the buck but is very sweet towards us, and has shown no aggression at all. The only thing she does is a low growl. Lol
I love rabbit Personalities! Still no sign of any nesting and were at day 30. So excited!

-- Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:40 am --

Thought I'd post a photo of her, this is Primrose, though we call her Prim :bunnyhop:

-- Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:53 am --

Prim <br /><br /> -- Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:18 am -- <br /><br /> Prim had another ultrasound to determine what was going on and she IS NOT pregnant!

She had reabsorbed her litter.

So we mated her again today and it was a lot more successful this time. The buck covered her 3 times so I've marked all the dates in my calendar and will happily wait and watch :)

Attachments

• Lumii_20201108_095148826.jpg
    Lumii_20201108_095148826.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 551
Why are you getting an ultrasound for a rabbit pregnancy? It's only 32 days from breeding to litter so just wait a few weeks and see if babies show up. I can't see where all these vet visits are going to improve things at all. It's gotta be stressful for the doe to go to the vet.

Take the doe to the buck's space, watch to see a fall off and then take the doe back to her space and wait four weeks. Give her a nest box and some nesting material and see if she builds a nest. If she doesn't have babies by day 34 or 36 take her back to visit the buck.

hotzcatz":11lyboyd said:
Why are you getting an ultrasound for a rabbit pregnancy? It's only 32 days from breeding to litter so just wait a few weeks and see if babies show up. I can't see where all these vet visits are going to improve things at all. It's gotta be stressful for the doe to go to the vet.

Take the doe to the buck's space, watch to see a fall off and then take the doe back to her space and wait four weeks. Give her a nest box and some nesting material and see if she builds a nest. If she doesn't have babies by day 34 or 36 take her back to visit the buck.

Well we all have reasons for doing things.
My girl is a pet rabbit, and absolutely spoilt, she has a wonderful temperament which is why I'm wishing to breed her in the first place.

She has revisited the buck with successful coverings and therefore we are on day 3 of waiting.

Latest posts

Back