Update on my NZW Doe that has been ill

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugzy4Lady

Reaction score
First off I would like to thank everyone who posted back with suggestions and advice on what to do with my doe who was having the strange clear discharge. So far as of this morning she seems to be doing a little bit better. She is still not drinking or eating much on her own but at least as of now the watery discharge and blood has stopped and she seems to have a little better look in her eyes. Currently I am giving her "Bounce Back" water 4 times a day via syringe and also feeding her critical care and probiotics at the same time. I am leaving hay in her box but so far she is not interested. Thanks again everyone! This is a great forum group and real help to new breeders like myself. I will give you an update tomorrow and hopefully have the good news that she is continuing on the mend.

Feed her mixed grasses/weeds if she won't eat anything else, mine never turn down grass.

I wish I had some grass/weeds to feed her but unfortunately here in the northwoods nothing is growing outside yet. I have offered some parsley but so far she is not interested.

Hi Bugzy ... even though it is still winter, go ahead and gather some dried grasses. There is still more moisture in them and the bunny should show more interest in them than regular hay. And, if you can find some green weeds, try them. Anything to get her interested in eating again. Have you tried any pineapple? Dried fall leaves too. Maybe a dab of winter wheat?

The pet stores around here sell pots of "cat grass"- they are overpriced, but it might be worth it in your case. Have you tried fresh parsley or cilantro? Dried wheat bread? Raisins or cranberries?

I hope she is doing better and you no longer need any of our suggestions!

Well it has been a long week and a half but I am sorry to report that she passed away last night. I tried everything that I could think of to encourage her to eat. Parsley, cilantro and many other items and she just did not have any desire to eat. She did eat a little hay and some critical care but it wasn't enough. I think what really did her in was that over Friday and Saturday she finished aborted her 12 additional kits which I think that was what finally did her in.

I am very sorry for your loss. This does sound a lot like Pregnancy toxemia, ketosis, which I almost lost my doe two a few weeks ago. She did abort the litter, but I was able to force feed her, but no guarantee that it won't happen again.

I'm so sorry you lost her. Sometimes you do all you possibly can, and you still lose 'em. But now and then, sometimes you pull them through. You did everything you could.

My condolences, too. It is always hard to loose one, whether she is simply breeding meatkits or a show bunny.

Latest posts

Back