Update 16 Day Old Kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beekeeper10

Reaction score
I am hoping some of you can give me some advice on how best to deal with some temperament problems that I am having with my new doe and her kits. I have a Cali doe that is 7 1/2 months old and this is her first litter. I have had her about 2 months and she is still very skittish and since she has had her kits she has become very aggressive and protective of her kits. She charges me and has nipped me one time, thank goodness did break the skin on my arm. I have tried to not bother her much hoping she would settle down. But since I did that, I have not handled the kits very much and they are now 16 days old. Today I took the nest box out to check on them and they reacted like they were scared to death. One of them screamed until I covered its head with my hand.
I am not sure how to best handle this and would like to know your opinions. I was hoping for these to be my future breeding stock but I am starting to get concerned. I don't want a bunch of scared and aggressive rabbits. They come from some of the best show stock in my area.
I wore a heavy jacket and gloves today so I would not have to worry about the doe.
Should I wean them as soon as possible like maybe 4 weeks. Could the does temperament be causing the kits to react that way. I don't want to aggravate the situation but I don't think just leaving them alone is going to help them.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_1213 A.JPG
    IMG_1213 A.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_1216 A.JPG
    IMG_1216 A.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 566
The more you handle them, the better they will get. Take them out of the cage and into the house or yard and handle them....rabbits are prey animals and they will instinctively fear any larger animal (you) and think it is trying to eat them. Cage aggressiveness and being protective of her kits is normal. If she really wanted to bite you, she would have. She was just being protective of her kits. I bet she will settle down soon. I had one that it took until her second litter, but after that, she was a sweetie.

Thanks OAF. This is the first younger doe that I have have bought. All of my others have been older and have been very gentle. I have a lot to learn. I would still like to get a pair from you after the first of the year.
Lissapell, they are pure Californians so that is the normal color. I was surprised that the shading of ears, nose and feet appeared that young. These are my first Cali kits.

__________ Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:23 pm __________

lissapell":387vpw2q said:
they are so cute! Are they grayish or is it just a shadow?
They are "frosties"...they got chilled in the nest box. The Cal gene is temperature sensitive, the colder the body area, the darker the color. That is why you only see the color on the extremities. Once they have their first molt, it will grow back in normally.<br /><br />__________ Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:35 pm __________<br /><br />
Beekeeper10":387vpw2q said:
Thanks OAF. This is the first younger doe that I have have bought. All of my others have been older and have been very gentle. I have a lot to learn. I would still like to get a pair from you after the first of the year.

I would be more than happy to help you out! The babies are just lovely, btw! Don't worry, she will settle in with time....:)

What beautiful kits! My first time Mom was that age and was very protective of her kits. Was worried myself because I did raise her from a young age and was never treated like that by her (boxing, charging). But I didn't let her attitude stop me from checking her kits. Eventually she did settle down and now is back to her ole self (weaned kits by 5-1/2 weeks, last at 6 weeks).

She definitely did well for her first time. Again beautiful kits!

Karen

They're cuties! :D They should gentle right up with lots of handling.

I've got a litter right now from a first-timer, and we handled them a bunch. They were super sweet. Then their eyes opened.

Suddenly, now that they could see us, they were all like, "OH NO, IT'S GONNA EAT ME!!!" We kept handling them, and now they've settled right back down. :D

I've got a first time mama similar to yours. When you put your hand in the cage she is all over you, nipping and boxing. Prior to the babies she loved attention, but now she's a beast.

They are very cute and so healthy looking! :)

Your doe should settle down soon. A good time to pet the babies (once mom is no longer trying to kill you) is when you feed them their hay. :)

She is a great mother. I have seen her in the nest box feeding them 3 or 4 times a day during the day. She licks and cleans them all the time while she is keeping an eye on me. ;) All she needs to do is settle down a little bit.

Latest posts

Back