Unsafe Wood

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heritage Homestead

Reaction score
Okay, so I am in the process of battling MamaSheepdog's rabbitry set-up and came across a quetion.

Are there any unsafe woods for rabbits? My Dad works in construction and can get me about anything (scraps at the shop). Just wanted to make sure none of it was toxic for them.
Big bummer about the only thing he can't get is pine! :(
I know that cedar is toxic without proper ventilation, but are there any others?
Dad can get things like mapel, oak, poplar and cherry. All untreated of course.

Thanks! Let the battle of rabbitries begin! :twisted:

I'm sorry but why are you
battling MamaSheepdog's rabbitry set-up
?

battling implies that you are fighting with it and I'm not sure WHY you would be fighting with it?

you don't want anything pressure treated.
and you might want to be careful with pressed board....though I've seen lots of rabbits housed with it, there is risk with the glue used.

I don't think HH meant the "battling" seriously.

In any case, as far as I know, any of the ones you mentioned, HH, (maple, oak, poplar and cherry) should be okay for construction. If it were a case of feeding them the wood for controlling tooth wear, I would prefer maple or poplar to oak and cherry.

Oops! :oops: Didn't mean for anyone to misunderstand! Sorry about that.

It all started when MSD made those really cool chew toys for her rabbits. Here are the two posts that started it all.
Heritage Homestead":8y1d40a1 said:
Now I know why I have had escaped rabbits in the past! They are all trying to get to MSD's house! :eek:
You must own bunny paradise! :lol:
That is really neat. Got to make some of those for my bunnies too!
MamaSheepdog":8y1d40a1 said:
Drat! :angry: It figures you would figure out my nefarious plan, Heritage! ;)

If the bunnies come to me, I can't be diagnosed with Rabbitosis Aquireosis, now can I? Hmm??? :twisted:
And there have been a few jokes since then.
Now I have to make my rabbitry bunny paradise or all my buns will escape to go to MSD'S! :shock: :lol:

The wood is for making some chew toys for the rabbits. Dad says he has some scrap mapel in his truck! It is not pressure treated or pressed. Time to make some toys! :p

Heritage Homestead":1w5287lk said:
And there have been a few jokes since then.
Now I have to make my rabbitry bunny paradise or all my buns will escape to go to MSD'S! :shock: :lol:

The wood is for making some chew toys for the rabbits. Dad says he has some scrap mapel in his truck! It is not pressure treated or pressed. Time to make some toys! :p

That would make a great disney/pixar movie. Personally, I would like to escape to MSD's house.

my bunnies need toys too.

Heritage Homestead":1vg59sby said:
Okay, so I am in the process of battling MamaSheepdog's rabbitry set-up and came across a quetion.

En garde! :duel: Let the battle begin!

Are there any unsafe woods for rabbits?

All highly toxic! :eek: :eek: :eek: You may as well just do this: :axe: and be done with it! :whistle:

MaggieJ":1vg59sby said:
If it were a case of feeding them the wood for controlling tooth wear, I would prefer maple or poplar to oak and cherry.

Curses! :evil: Foiled again! :angry:

Well... ahem... MaggieJ says maple and poplar are okay... :hmm:

:idea: ... but they taste absolutely horrible! Ever seen a rabbit do this? :razz2: :sick:

Not buying it, eh?

***SIGH!!!***

Darn it! Now my bunnies are going to want to come to your rabbitry, with your hoity-toity expensive wood chew toys! :cry_baby: I may as well just pack them a lunch and go open all the cages now. :roll:

My Dad works in construction and can get me about anything (scraps at the shop). Big bummer about the only thing he can't get is pine! :(

Your dad must be a Cabinet Maker or an installer?... unless construction is a lot different out there and houses are framed with hard woods?!? ;)

My dad was a Master Cabinet Maker and so is my eldest brother. :D

Now, to get serious on the wood question;

I think that the rabbits wood enjoy (edit: Lol... would enjoy! Amusing typo/brain malfunction, so I'll let it stand!) the poplar most because it has the least density of the woods you mentioned.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood- ... -d_40.html

Oak (wood, bark, and leaves) is listed as toxic to rabbits, but mine eagerly eat the leaves that blow into their cages, and they are still alive.

I bought the kids an Easter bunny one year, and we kept her in a large aviary. I put a couple of hollow oak logs in there for shelter. When the logs are becoming hollow, the inner wood becomes softer and not all of that was removed prior to putting them in the cage. She eventually chewed all of it out, and the inside of the logs was as smooth as a piece of furniture. She also chewed all of the bark off of the outside. She didn't chew much on the logs themselves after that- too hard, I think.

skysthelimit":1vg59sby said:
Personally, I would like to escape to MSD's house.

Aww! :oops: You are welcome to visit anytime you make it out to California, Sky! I'll send you home with some bunny toys! :p

No walnut-- I think Black walnut specifically, but be safe and no walnut...
Do not use anythiing that is l;aminated (layered) or made from particles/flakes-- They contain alot of formaldehyde---

When the pines and spruces start to open their buds-- I am thinking about cutting some fresh tips for my crew--

the things we do for our buns...

MamaSheepdog":2zutrbml said:
Darn it! Now my bunnies are going to want to come to your rabbitry, with your hoity-toity expensive wood chew toys! I may as well just pack them a lunch and go open all the cages now.
YES!! Hahaha :twisted: My plan is working! I will own rabbit resort! :p
:lol:

MamaSheepdog":2zutrbml said:
Your dad must be a Cabinet Maker or an installer?
Actually my Dad is a cabinet maker and installer. He was in roofing for over 13 years and picked up a lot from different guys on the job site. Now he does remodeling of all sorts. Some of the houses he works in are really nice. The guy he is working with now lets him have about whatever scraps and stuff they tear out of the houses Dad wants (as long as he doesn't want them of course). We remodel our house with it! :lol: Not kidding either! For example I don't know how many light fixtures we have from houses Dad has worked in. And they look almost brand new! :eek:

So I guess I'll go with the poplar! And if the bunnies don't like the taste at least they will look cool! :twisted: :lol:

Heritage Homestead":ekcnmtdv said:
I will own rabbit resort! :p

You go girl! :p

I'm making backpacks for my bunnies to fill with provisions so they have a safe journey!

"The Rabbit Resort" would make a good rabbitry name. :)

Actually my Dad is a cabinet maker and installer.

I knew it!

My Hubs is very handy too. We built our house from the ground up (er- under- we have a basement too), and he made the cabinetry (we ordered the doors though), did the glass block shower, tile, and all of the finish work. The only things we didn't do were the gas line from propane tank to house, HVAC, insulation, and drywall install.

I was several months pregnant with my littlest monkey when we did the rafters, and once that was done and sheeted, I sat on the peak of the roof (book in hand) and tossed the roofing shingles to Hubs.

He does mostly new construction, but recently repaired some damage to a home that was burglarized.

The guy he is working with now lets him have about whatever scraps and stuff they tear out of the houses Dad wants (as long as he doesn't want them of course). We remodel our house with it! :lol:

That is wonderful! Often times people just want a new look, but there is nothing wrong with what they have. I would love to salvage stuff from old houses that are being torn down.

Back