unknown birth

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownsfarm

Reaction score
Hello all. I bought some rabbits about a month ago there was no mention of breeding before hand. This morning after cleaning up i nothing something that looks like a rabbit new born!!!!! question what is the likely hood of a female having only one baby. also since i have no idea what female had the baby and i'm currently in the process of breeding what advice can anyone offer and could it be a rat baby? hoping it is.

Rat baby!? Not likely! Rat babies are much much smaller than rabbit babies.

Are the rabbits all being kept together and that why you do not know who is pregnant??

If they are not in a colony sized enclosure, I'd separate them immediately and provide nestboxes for ALL the females. If one has been bred than others could also be.
If they were even kept together on the trip home...now is the time to start seeing litters!
If they are in a colony pen, include enough nesting sites for all your girls.

I've been sold pregnant rabbits twice now when I was assured it was totally impossible for them to be pregnant.

Having just one baby isn't very common, but they might have one, and have the rest up to several days later.

Zass":324khk77 said:
Rat baby!? Not likely! Rat babies are much much smaller than rabbit babies.

...and they have long tails! :)

Zass is right- all the does need their own nestboxes right now.

I would also look all over the ground for more baby rabbits. They can crawl through 1" x 2" wire, and can get a surprising distance away, so search at least 20 feet around the cage. If there are any piles of loose debris like leaves or hay they may be in that.

Yes they where kept together where i got them and on the way home was told they where all does they are in separate cages

Back