Unexplained weight loss, really need some help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
So I have had a pair of pointed white meat mutts that we're surrendered to me for a bit now. I have mentioned them before and that the doe was skinny when I got them. I was getting her to gain weight when she suddenly started to lose it again and got to the point where she lost more than she gained. Her buck has started to lose weight too. I had given them extra feedings, supplemented with hay, greens, oats, ect. and nothing has helped. They just kept losing weight. The doe got to the point where I culled her yesterday. I opened her up to get some answers as to what the heck is going on (didn't think to get pictures sorry). All the organs looked healthy. No spots, no discoloration, nothing wrong. I thought maybe worms, and opened up her stomach and interesting. Still nothing. I opened her lungs, nothing wrong. I even opened her heart, and found nothing. I have no explanation for why she lost so much conditioning so fast. I am still going to try to get the Buck's condition back, and am debating selling him as a pet (found out he has a split penis), but I'm conflicted about selling him if his condition improves, because I still don't know what is going on. What are y'all's thoughts? Think I should cull him now or try and save? If saved should I sell? I'm so frazzled and confused about all of this because it had happened within a month. Please, I need other opinions <br /><br /> -- Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:56 am -- <br /><br /> Since the female's death the buck has seemed super depressed. I believe they had bonded and now with her gone, he has been sitting in "her" corner (the corner she preferred to sit) and doesn't move much. I know this will negativity effect any kind of progress he'd be able to make. Is there anything I can do for him?

I did open the small intestine. It looked perfectly fine, no spots or discoloration if any kind. Do you think they could have been given bad feed before I got them? They came together and are the only two that has had this happen. Is there anything I can do to get the buck back to normal if it was bad feed?

TeaTimeBunnies":1ugp3svp said:
I did open the small intestine. It looked perfectly fine, no spots or discoloration if any kind. Do you think they could have been given bad feed before I got them? They came together and are the only two that has had this happen. Is there anything I can do to get the buck back to normal if it was bad feed?
If it is mold toxin, [That is "probably" why they were going down when you got them]- i know of nothing that will help- except feeding greens to help their immune system- most of the time it is "hopeless" trying to get them back to "normal health" - but, once in a while one will come back - so you can try until you feel that they are suffering. then you know what to do after that..

Thank you michaels4gardenns. Since he is mostly likely a lost cause I won't push him to the point of suffering. It also wouldn't be practical of me to put in cage space, time, effort, and feed into a rabbit that won't likely make it

At this point, I'd probably euthanize him. It sounds to me as though he is losing ground and he may put your other rabbits at risk. Quite often, people "surrender" pets when they know there is a problem they can't or won't deal with. I hope you had the two in quarantine.

I have MaggieJ. My quarantine is generally a month unless I feel it necessary to lengthen it. I've had these rabbits for 3 months, and hadn't taken them out due to the obvious ailments. I tried so long thinking that they were probably just underfed sice they were unwanted, but there is obviously more going on. It would make sense if they were accidentally fed molded feed since their previous owners (my neighbors) were still learning from me before the surrender

TeaTimeBunnies":7mlc6mif said:
I have MaggieJ. My quarantine is generally a month unless I feel it necessary to lengthen it. I've had these rabbits for 3 months, and hadn't taken them out due to the obvious ailments. I tried so long thinking that they were probably just underfed sice they were unwanted, but there is obviously more going on. It would make sense if they were accidentally fed molded feed since their previous owners (my neighbors) were still learning from me before the surrender

Newby rabbit people really can't have any idea how dangerous moldy feed can be, so often they see a "bad clump" in a bag, and just toss the clump out- not realizing the "dusty" surrounding pellets are infected also-- it is a sad lesson..

Took care of the buck last night. Kinda sad I had to Cull him, but it was for the good of his health and my herd's health. He was such a sweet boy though

Latest posts

Back