Unexpected Problem

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there are a variety of ways to treat.

Some treat precisely as you do chickens.

Most people suggest a 2 week treatment. I did it differently from the big rabbits than the small. And I didn't put it in their water as they wouldn't drink it.

So I simply syringed the meds into them. And yes... it's a pain to do as some will fight tooth and nail.

Feed hay while you treat.

For my meat rabbits I followed a 5 day on, two day off. 4 day on two day off routine until I filled two weeks. I varied that with my small breeds as i found they went off feed. they were three days on two off, three days on two off, three days on three off until I filled the two weeks.

And yes, clean livers was my indication.

I also treated when I had no kits coming. Then I gave them a couple weeks THEN bred them so the meds would be clear of their system before the kits would be ready to eat (or in the case of the small breeds) ready to sell.

I have used both Sulmet and corid.i put it in the water.usually its the kits you lose less often adult rabbits.many show breeders treat for this on a routine basis.several times a year or every litter coming out of the nest box.I treat for a week. a week no meds and another week meds.Its very treatable.i dont know how long after you can consume the meat as i dont butcher.I normally treat 3 week old litters.

Anyone hear of using Ponazuril for treating coccidiosis? Apparently, fast-acting, so treatment time is greatly shortened. Here's a link w/ details:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... ourceID=52

Read last night that the hepatic type has a much longer life cycle than intestinal types...making it much more difficult (some believe impossible) to eradicate. Doing fecals for Eimeria stiedai is very unreliable, since it isn't shed constantly (may even be dormant) - leading easily to false negatives. (And that's assuming the lab techs have the training to differentiate the dozen, or so, types of E.)

Perhaps this would explain the wide variables in posted treatment protocols (the shorter ones would have no impact whatsoever on E. stiedai).

I'm hoping to hear back soon from my vet about the Ponazuril. Later, later!

Latest posts

Back