Underweight rabbits at 10 weeks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwolff644

Reaction score
I just butchered my first rabbits, a bred to a NZ Father and a Cali mother. It was my understanding that at 10 weeks I could expect 3-5 pounds of meat per rabbit. For 4 rabbits I got 5 1/3 pounds of meat on the bone.

They were taken from mom at 8 weeks, had their food bowls kept full with a mix of 16% protien rabbit feed mixed with calf manna, and given all the water they could drink.

Were did I go wrong? Is my thinking wrong on when I should butcher them.

Unfortunately, I forgot to weigh them before processing.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Redwolff644":2b9go7pd said:
It was my understanding that at 10 weeks I could expect 3-5 pounds of meat per rabbit. For 4 rabbits I got 5 1/3 pounds of meat on the bone.

At 10 weeks you should expect 3-5 lbs live weight, not carcase weight. Generally 60% of live weight will be the carcase weight including liver heart and kidneys. However, the weight at 10 weeks will vary alot depending on the rabbits. Show lines generally grow out a bit slower than those actually raised for meat. I'm just now getting close to 5lbs at 10 weeks with certain does other, I'm happy to be over 4lbs at 12 weeks. Mine are mutts.

Live weight of 5 lb at 8 weeks is the ideal but not many bloodlines can accomplish this and 5lbs at 10 weeks is more realistic. But your 4 were less than 1.5lb each at 10 weeks and most kits are that big by 4 weeks :shock:

What do the parents weight?

Perhaps the does milk production was low?

If the breeders you got your stock from we're getting 5lb live weight at 10 weeks then I would suspect disease or stress causing low growth rate

Latest posts

Back