Uncommon wire cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
I'd like to see the different cage styles you guys use for your rabbits. No hutches or anything with wood, just wire cages.
I've got 3 kinds.
Store bought rectangle, 30x36x?height.
Rectangle floors, half slanted top, 24x48 with a top and front door.
Rectangle floors, "n" shaped top, 24x48 with curved front door. These are the easiest to make and seem to waste less. They don't use the height and don't need full sized wall edges.

Picture below that I sketched up. I'll get real pictures of my own cages tomorrow. The last one is a common one I see in large scale, factory production.
Gray is the bottom, yellow are walls and top, white are doors.
cages-1.jpg

Dang it, you're making me dizzy. Are you sure you didn't set out to draw optical illusions? My perspective keeps shifting as I look at them. :shock:

Mine use the height, they are constantly stretching upward, reaching to the top of the cage, and have jumped out before I put tops on them.

The first cage is canted to the right and the others are canted to the left... but looking at the second drawing makes my eyes go wonky. I think it is the two doors. Anyway...

I have standard square and rectangular cages with inward and upward swinging doors, but I think the last version would be the best. The dome shaped one would definitely save on wire, but you lose too much usable space at the edges.

I have large cages with the 'inward, upward' swinging doors....SO annoying. It's nice that I don't have a door banging me in the shoulder, but more annoying to try to hook it to the cage ceiling and to kick bunnies out of the doorway to do anything.

I like the fact that you can leave that type of door unlatched as you feed the row, and there are no bunny escapees.

My fav is the dome, I have the doors going up and out, opps. I was in a rush, they would of been taller with down and out, but again, rush=stupid mistakes time after time. I don't see too much wasted space with this version, they aren't tall animals and if they want to stretch, they can lay and do so. But these are my doe kindling cages, others are taller.
My row cages, 2nd pic, the new doors on the front are down and out. Only the one store bought cage is up and in, I'm always whacking the doe in the face or butt to get her to move out of the way... :/

No one else has spider bunnies that climb? I watched my two week old kits climb up their entire 24" cage height, hit the ceiling, and fall. I gasped really loudly and that scared them much more than their shenanigans.

Our mini-rex was a climber! We kept her in our aviary, and at this point, it was standing upright as an aviary should- and we'd come out and she'd be five feet off the ground! Hubs would then break into song with the theme from Super-Chicken.

"When you find yourself in danger,
When you're threatened by a stranger,
When it looks like you will take a lickin', (cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck)
There is someone waiting who
Will hurry up and rescue you,
Just call...for Super Chicken! (cluck, awk!)"

skysthelimit":13z26i2p said:
Mine use the height, they are constantly stretching upward, reaching to the top of the cage, and have jumped out before I put tops on them.
I make most of my cages 2 feet high so I have room for a shelf. Buns really love a shelf they can jump onto and survey their kingdom. That also lets me get the shelf high enough so mama can get away from the kids to wean them.

I've been eyeballing the quonset top cages for a while, they work great when the rows are tight back to back—they become a perfect hay rack, you just throw the hay in down the center 'v'. The problem is that the nest boxes have to be placed in the center of the cage, though, which gives more opportunity for kits to get squished in corners. I think drop nest boxes would be ideal for quonset set ups.

MamaSheepdog":2y7uf6h0 said:
The first cage is canted to the right and the others are canted to the left... but looking at the second drawing makes my eyes go wonky. I think it is the two doors. Anyway...

The door on the top is canted the wrong direction, that is why it is making your eyes go "wonky". It needs to slant the other way....

If that door was drawn the other way, then the real door shape would be a parallelogram. So no, the door is not drawn wrong.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:34 pm __________<br /><br />The quonset style cage is the half cylinder? I don't see why you can't have the nest at the front corner and all the food on the other side or on one of the adjoining short walls. If it's on a joined wall, you'd need a solid wall to keep other rabbits from peeing into it.

ChickiesnBunnies said:
If that door was drawn the other way, then the real door shape would be a parallelogram. So no, the door is not drawn wrong.

__________ Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:34 pm ________

I see now, we are looking at that door from *inside* the cage...if we were looking at it from OUTSIDE the cage, from the top (which is what I was thinking), then it would need to be canted the other direction. Just curious...why are they taller in front than in back?

I would rethink the stretching room...my rabbits stretch continually...giving them a little room just generally leads to happier rabbits, who have bigger and happier babies...who taste happier in my mouth. :)

I put my 'giant' dutch in a new cage last night. She's hopefully bred and I wanted to give her more room. I had a 3 x 3 cage, but we also just purchased another 4 x 3, or it might be 5 x 3...it's REALLY tall, double her old cage tall. So I just put her in the bigger cage because we have the room and it's just going to sit empty otherwise. She likes to stand on her tippy toes and can reach the top. Crazy.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:47 pm __________<br /><br />I gotta stop staring at the wonky cage. LOL

Latest posts

Back