Ummmmm....is black otter dominant?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tegan

Reaction score
Ok, so in playing with meat mutts I crossed a REW std rex with a Steal Grey flemish giant. I know the REW carries Black and Black Otter....and that's it as far back as the ped goes. The flemish I have no idea what it carries, it's parents were bred for a pet litter and I know there was some Sandys, a Dark Steal and some Light Grey in that litter. I have 9 kits in the nest box now. Some look to be REW (do flemish even come in REW??) a few may be black or dark steal, and then at least one that looks like a black otter. Is black otter even possible from this mix?

I'm REALLY hoping that this doe decides to be a good mom....so far it's been iffy, but this is her first litter. She had one in the middle of the colony yesterday (lost it) and so I threw her in a cage with a box and started her nest for her....sometime in the middle of the night she finished the nest, pulled fur and had 9 more. Hard to tell if they were fed, I did a FAST count and check and put the nest back because I didn't want to mess with her too much.

The black otter could be a chestnut, in a day or two the brown will show up behind the ears and then some ticking.

If the Flemish carries a self then you could get black otter, it is dominant to black and you think you got some of those.

Flemish do come in REW but are quite rare, there is likely a NZ cross or something in the history and it got carried on to your bun.

I am not familiar with steel grey other than in the Dutch breed. Do you know what it is genetically or do you have a picture?

I guess I call it a dark steel...it's just a dark grey look. Not sure what the name for it really is. I'm sure this rabbit isn't 100% pure bred by any means hehe. Who knows, the "REW's" could be sandy..it's hard to tell. I'll get pictures later if it looks like she's going to take care of them...no point getting too invested if she's not. I was just curious since I thought Otter was recessive...

otter is recessive to agouti and dominant to self. There are 3 genes on that locus.

Hehehe I'll never figure this stuff out....<br /><br />__________ Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:13 am __________<br /><br />Looks like she's feeding them and everything is going well...I'll pull the nest tomorrow and get pictures and a better count and look over. I'm excited to have some COLOR back on my kits! (REW is nice and all....but gets boooooooring.)

Back