Um is this normal?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevonW

Reaction score
I'm almost finished processing 8 fryers (I have two left to do I just need time.) My only problem is when I was processing them, two out of the 6 I did seriously freaked me out. I did the broomstick method fine, they were dead, took off the head, skinned them opened them up AND their guts were still moving :x :x :x So of course I know they HAVE to be dead (they have no head) but it is still seriously freaky to see the guts all moving and bleh

Has anyone else ever seen this? Or ae my rabbits freaks? It is seriously disconcerting when it happens too.

Movement is the muscles tightening and loosening as they go through the onset of rigor. There is also a nerve reaction when the end of a nerve is cut (or sometimes just touched). It's an automatic reaction, and is often reported in any critter that is being processed. Also in humans in the morgue, or at a funeral home.

Quite often the guts roiling is gas that has been released and is making it's way around in the bowels.

When I was a kid, my mom and I went to a fish market where they had the fish alive and they would net them for you. You could buy them whole, or you could pay to have them filleted. Mom got some catfish and had it filleted, and we took it to a friend. When the friend opened the cooler, the fillets were still twitching! She (the friend) remarked, "Well, they certainly are fresh, aren't they?" :chef:

I've seen the muscles twitch before and it never bothered me, it was when the intenstines slithered full out was when I sort of when ummm wth?! Out of the 6 I processed only 2 did it though so I wasn't sure if it was something that occured or whether or not something else was going on like being full of worms (which they shouldn't)

Yes, it is a bit disturbing to see the innards crawling around on their own. :p Now you know where they got the idea for zombies. :lol:

I remember once having butchered and cut up a rabbit - a bowl of meat sitting on the counter, still twitching. That was weird.

Latest posts

Back