Ultimate Nest box for my NZs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyTinker

Reaction score
Hi all and thanks for all the great info on this forum!

I need to build new nest boxes for my girls and want them to be the best possible size.

I raise New Zealands and some mutts about the same size. They seem to have 8 to 9 kits per litter.

I would love to see any pics of nest boxes that have worked out for you as well as links to info on how to size and build nest boxes.

Thanks so much in advance!

Gratuitous popple pic:
IMAG0740.jpg

Someone posted a template for cutting nests out of a sheet of plywood with minimal waste of materials, but I haven't been able to find it so far.

I do have two suggestions. The first would be to make the bottom of the box out of 1" x 2" floor wire to provide good drainage and air flow. To prevent the bedding from falling through you can cut a piece of cardboard to size and place it under the box itself so you can remove it when the kits get a little older and start peeing a lot.

The second would be to make a "baby scraper" lip on the front of the box, as in this photo of a metal box:

IMG_3352.JPG

jessie15273":3f7jiy41 said:
http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-equipment/build-nestbox-wood-plan/

^^^^^

That's the link! :p Thanks, Jessie! :bow:

The breeder I got my new buck from uses four gallon totes with a lid and a "doe sized" hole in one end. I use three gallon totes without a lid and a U in the side. I've never had anybunny eat them after the initial taste test.

Here's the copy of the One piece of plywood! I had the picture saved but not the instructions :( But measurements for the most part are on it. I used it as my guide...It was a very successful Nesting box!

Attachments

• Nest-Box-Layout-large.jpg
    Nest-Box-Layout-large.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 418

Latest posts

Back