Ugh! My doe kindled ONE and has stopped for HOURS now...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Camper

Reaction score
This happened to me before, but not quite like this. Last time I had a doe stop her kindling process it was because she was interrupted by a noisy neighbor who stopped by our house at night.

Before i went to bed I checked and realized she had made a nest, had one on the wire and had stopped. It was around 9pm and I put the kit on the nest, checked her a couple more times and went to sleep. In the morning I found she had kindled 6 kits. Most survived.

I have a first timer whom was due tomorrow (day 31) although I thought yesterday when I let her out to play that she looked pretty ready to kindle (she did not have a nest ready but looked like she was going to pop)...

I put everything in place (cleaned the nesting box etc) and went back this morning 7am to check her. There was a kit on the floor of her nest and she was outside the nest in her normal resting position.

I put the kit inside the nest and left. I have been checking her every two hours and nothing. It is already 2pm :( and nothing. Her kindling cage is very dark. I can feel and see the babies move as much as I did last night. None is stuck... of course she has not touched her food or water but is not in labor meaning she's in her resting position.

Is she waiting for it to be darker? Has anyone had this happen to them?

This time around she's the only one kindling so I am not taking the kit inside or anything because it can't be adopted by another doe (won't do this ever again... it was a scheduling mistake I had never donde before). My next pair of does kindling will do it in two weeks...

Hi Happy Camper, and :welcome: to RT!

Simply the unexpected pain of labor can put a maiden doe off kindling for a while- they get scared and just stop.

Parsley is a gentle and safe herbal stimulant for encouraging contractions and milk production. Try giving her a few sprigs and see if it helps bring her labor on.

You can also pull fur from around her nipples, or do some gentle "nipple stimulation". Rub and gently squeeze her nipples. This will often throw a laboring mother into transition. She may not like it (ask me how I know! :x ), but it does work.

Have you palpated her? Does she have more in her? Did you check on the floor for more in case she had them on the wire and some crawled out? Is she having contractions or is just content?<br /><br />__________ Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:26 pm __________<br /><br />Oops, just reread post that she has more in her. I had one doe have one kit on the wire...not in nestbox and then 24 hours later delived normal litter in the box...a big NZ doe. Babies did live that were born 24 hrs later. ???

My doe stopped labor before giving birth, held off and re started 24 hours later due to me having to move her during some flooding weather. I was just lucky I guess that she hand't had a baby yet.

Thanks everyone because this info is great support... She's such a sweetheart and seems very content and luckily the kit in the nest is very active and looking great... She munched on some greens I gave her (don't have parsely :doh: ) I changed her water and she drank a little just to go back to her resting position. I am pretty sure she's got at least 6 more babies inside. She's a Californian and I bred her twice. I will let her be maybe until 10pm tonight and then try the NIPPLE MANEUVRE... Thanks!!! I will keep u posted.
cathyd":2hzpfxbf said:
Have you palpated her? Does she have more in her? Did you check on the floor for more in case she had them on the wire and some crawled out? Is she having contractions or is just content?

__________ Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:26 pm __________

Oops, just reread post that she has more in her. I had one doe have one kit on the wire...not in nestbox and then 24 hours later delived normal litter in the box...a big NZ doe. Babies did live that were born 24 hrs later. ???

__________ Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:14 pm __________

It's 4pm here... I peeked on her and she's pulling fur like there is no tomorrow... that's good right? It's like that 1rst kit she did not kindle... like he was just left there and just now she's getting ready to kindle.
Hmm... maybe some babies ARE indeed brought by storks :eek:

Well, just trying to stay cool and hoping everything turns out all right.

Welcome Happy Camper!

You've gotten great advice, and I really can't add anything...just wanted to welcome you.

*fingers crossed for healthy popples*

Is the single kit still okay? I forgot to mention that you should bring it inside or stick it in your bra (if you are a female "Happy Camper") to keep it warm until it has siblings to snuggle with.

Since she is now pulling fur, she probably doesn't need the parsley to help her labor along, but it is something that I like to give as a post-partum treat to help the uterus contract which in turn helps the milk come in. Do you have any dried parsley in your pantry? You can roll a slice of banana or apple in it and see if she takes it.

Good luck with the kits- or "popples" as we call them here- and don't be shy about sharing pictures of the little guys! :)

Hahahaha... yes I wear bras... well it was very active last time I checked... I can check again before I go to bed and see if she finally kindled or has more kts in the nest. If she does not... I will bring it in.

I have never donde this so is kind of stressful but (I don't want to hurt it) or keep it alive and attach if siblings die and he doesn't stand a chance... however, I think it is worth to give him the chance right?

Thanks soooooooo much for the advice!!!
MamaSheepdog":nkxk620y said:
Is the single kit still okay? I forgot to mention that you should bring it inside or stick it in your bra (if you are a female "Happy Camper") to keep it warm until it has siblings to snuggle with.

Since she is now pulling fur, she probably doesn't need the parsley to help her labor along, but it is something that I like to give as a post-partum treat to help the uterus contract which in turn helps the milk come in. Do you have any dried parsley in your pantry? You can roll a slice of banana or apple in it and see if she takes it.

Good luck with the kits- or "popples" as we call them here- and don't be shy about sharing pictures of the little guys! :)

Happy Camper":3qlylw3g said:
I can check again before I go to bed and see if she finally kindled or has more kts in the nest. If she does not... I will bring it in.

I have never done this so is kind of stressful but (I don't want to hurt it) or keep it alive and attach if siblings die and he doesn't stand a chance... however, I think it is worth to give him the chance right?

You wont hurt it, and daily handling makes for very friendly rabbits. :)

Even if she loses the other kits (unlikely), you can still keep the singleton alive if you bring the nestbox inside and take it out morning and evening for feedings until the baby is well furred or has opened its eyes.

I honestly don't think you need to worry- I bet you will find a nest full of kits shortly, and definitely by morning! :)

She's kindling as of right now! I took a peek and saw another kit outside the nest. My rabbit's kindling cage has concrete flooring and she pulled lots of fur on the floor.
I don't want her to stop again. Should I wait until she finishes or intervene evry now and then putting scattered kits on the nest?
She was cleaning another one when I peeked.
MamaSheepdog":2g5z0f1k said:
Happy Camper":2g5z0f1k said:
I can check again before I go to bed and see if she finally kindled or has more kts in the nest. If she does not... I will bring it in.

I have never done this so is kind of stressful but (I don't want to hurt it) or keep it alive and attach if siblings die and he doesn't stand a chance... however, I think it is worth to give him the chance right?

You wont hurt it, and daily handling makes for very friendly rabbits. :)

Even if she loses the other kits (unlikely), you can still keep the singleton alive if you bring the nestbox inside and take it out morning and evening for feedings until the baby is well furred or has opened its eyes.

I honestly don't think you need to worry- I bet you will find a nest full of kits shortly, and definitely by morning! :)

Whoo-hoo! Congrats!

My does could care less about me being around when they kindle- they are usually doing so when I feed in the morning. Your doe may feel differently, however.

I would gather the kits and put them in the nest. You can also strew some bedding on the concrete so if she keeps missing the nest box the next ones wont get too chilled before you move them.

Not sure where you live, but if the concrete is at all cold, I would move the kits to the nest where they can be warm. Actually, I would move them to the nest regardless. They will have more warmth in the nest with each other.

*fingers crossed for more healthy kits*

I live in an island in the Caribbean and the lowest it gets at night these days is 70 degrees F... anyhow I understand they should be kept warm... I opened the cage and the kit I saw was the one she had previously. I have not idea how she got him out. Maybe preparing the nest she pushed him out. . I found a new one though also outside and put it in. I think I did interrupt her, since she stopped what she was doing and went to her relaxing mode :( I will definetely leave her alone for couple hours before I peek again. Poor thing :(
Marinea":32zd5yem said:
Not sure where you live, but if the concrete is at all cold, I would move the kits to the nest where they can be warm. Actually, I would move them to the nest regardless. They will have more warmth in the nest with each other.

*fingers crossed for more healthy kits*

Happy Camper":tv5q67y5 said:
I live in an island in the Caribbean and the lowest it gets at night these days is 70 degrees F.

The Caribbean?!? Lucky you! :cool:

As long as there is plenty of fur in the nest, the kit will likely be fine.

Happy Camper":tv5q67y5 said:
I opened the cage and the kit I saw was the one she had previously. I have not idea how she got him out.

He may have been nursing and latched on when she hopped out of the nest.

Hi everyone! So happy to report that my doe kindled E-L-E-V-E-N kits!!!!
After the second kit I found also on the floor I removed them and put them in the nest and went to sleep.

This morning I found 11 gorgeous kits inside the nest. It impressed me that she had pulled so much fur!!! They all look fine and active. There's the runt, but he looks also fine and active. The one she had 24 prior to the rest had some little scratches on him but looked fine. I guess from the ordeal he went through while she retook her nesting excersises...

I am very glad I found this support group and I thanks all for your great help. I want to post a pic but have no idea how :?

Thanks!!! I just posted the picture on my Photo Album here... I don't know very well the features of this forum, but I guess everyone can see people's albums. Look under Happy Camper, is the only pic there. :bunnyhop:

Wyldrose":35m8r2q3 said:
Welcome :) Congrats on the litter!! I just up load pictures to Photobucket and share the link.

Back