Two does sharing a nest?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoodat

Reaction score
I thought I had all of my does and bucks seperated into different cages but a sneaky little buck was masquerading as a doe and some how managed to impregnate all three of the does he was with. He must have done his work at night because I never caught him at it. I had no idea till one of the does birthed on the wire. I got most of them saved and moved into a nest box. It has been so hot that I couldn't butcher the buck so he lucked out again. Three days later another doe kindled and used the same box as the first doe. They seem to be dividing the chores peacefuly so far but this is a new one on me. Anyone else had this experience?

I know that there have been a couple of people with colonies who have had such an arrangement work out alright. All of the babies will be present for each feeding. You just have to make sure that everybunny is getting fed, since there are so many mouths trying for a spot at the dinner table. :)

Something to watch for would be one doe claiming the nest as her own, and hurting kits in an effort to keep the other doe away. I think this behavior would already have happened if it was going to, though.

i used to house rabbits in 'twos'. Does that grew up together would share a box. Does that were introduced to each later would require separate nest boxes.

This is how its worked in my colony, even with does that hated each other before. They peacefully share a nest box and all the kits do fine.

Both does were from the same litter and were raised together. The only problem is that when one doe goes in to nurse the other seems to follow her example so it gets kind of crowded in there.

Back