Two bucks to the Same Doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pink

Reaction score
A friend of a friend (who doesn't have internet) is asking the questions below.

What are you thoughts are breeding two bucks, to the same doe (one buck in the morning, the other in the evening)? What exactly would you put on the pedigree in this case?

you could not really know who the sire was, unless it was one of those cases when a certain color could only be produced and you could identify the right sire that way.

Unless the colors or breeds are distinct, Sky is right, and even then I would be hesitant. I wouldn't do it if you intend to sell pedigreed stock.

Pink":5cl6o3dq said:
A friend of a friend (who doesn't have internet) is asking the questions below.

What are you thoughts are breeding two bucks, to the same doe (one buck in the morning, the other in the evening)? What exactly would you put on the pedigree in this case?

what I'd put on the pedigree is:
Pet only, not to be used as breeding stock.
accept to produce more MEAT!
As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

There is absolutely no advantage to doing this that I can see... and the pedigree would be useless, since it would always be open to question. Instead, your friend should breed the doe to the same buck morning and evening. Next time he/she can use the other buck.

I know someone who does this, but she only produces meat for her dogs. She breeds her does to multiple bucks and has litters of 12-14 everytime. But, they are not pedigreed and are only for meat.

OneAcreFarm":3n6j3qtw said:
I know someone who does this, but she only produces meat for her dogs. She breeds her does to multiple bucks and has litters of 12-14 everytime. But, they are not pedigreed and are only for meat.

I had a litter of 11 with one buck and one service.

I had to respond to this again- why would you want to do this? If there is a question of the virility of one buck, wouldn't you want to know for sure if he were fertile or not? If it was an accident, I can understand the question, but not otherwise. If it were an accident, they could only be pedigreed on the mother's side.

Another concern I have is if one of the bucks is carrying some type of venereal disease, it could easily be transferred to the other buck.

OAF, I would be interested to see if your friend would have the same results breeding the same buck to the doe morning and evening. It could be that one of the bucks is especially virile, but I think litter size has a great deal to do with the doe and how many eggs she typically ovulates.

MamaSheepdog":37vfxck9 said:
I had to respond to this again- why would you want to do this? If there is a question of the virility of one buck, wouldn't you want to know for sure if he were fertile or not? If it was an accident, I can understand the question, but not otherwise. If it were an accident, they could only be pedigreed on the mother's side.

Another concern I have is if one of the bucks is carrying some type of venereal disease, it could easily be transferred to the other buck.

OAF, I would be interested to see if your friend would have the same results breeding the same buck to the doe morning and evening. It could be that one of the bucks is especially virile, but I think litter size has a great deal to do with the doe and how many eggs she typically ovulates.

Lisa Bunnygal is who I am speaking of, and she will likely pipe up sooner or later with why she does what she does...

Latest posts

Back