Trying to get the sable and california color in standard Rex

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skysthelimit":1eq2rs17 said:
OneAcreFarm":1eq2rs17 said:
Where in Ohio? Maybe we can get something arranged between us RT folks to get one to you if you find one...
is Marsha (sp) Adams in WI.

Marty Adams is on the new Yahoo RexRabbitList

Also the Rex Nationals will be in Red Bluff, CA this April and there will be people traveling to/from the midwest who may be willing to transport for you.

caroline":384ldhb7 said:
skysthelimit":384ldhb7 said:
OneAcreFarm":384ldhb7 said:
Where in Ohio? Maybe we can get something arranged between us RT folks to get one to you if you find one...
is Marsha (sp) Adams in WI.

Marty Adams is on the new Yahoo RexRabbitList

Also the Rex Nationals will be in Red Bluff, CA this April and there will be people traveling to/from the midwest who may be willing to transport for you.

I put it out on the Rex Rabbit list. No response yet, maybe she is not on often.<br /><br />__________ Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:17 pm __________<br /><br />Someone is traveling from WI to OH sometime next week. Now only if I can get someone to answer my emails, I might be able to do something.

skysthelimit":qwoihhjz said:
OneAcreFarm":qwoihhjz said:

I am in NE Ohio, right on the lake. The first part would be finding them,

So I don't know how I missed the RabbitClassifieds Yahoo group before, but I just found it this morning. I haven't even taken the time to check and see if you've been on there and posted...if not,maybe you could find something if you posted there. :p

skysthelimit, I pm'ed you.

Marty Adams is a friend of mine. She has both Sables and Cals, but I dont know what her current stock is. She will have more come summer. I can arrange transport to Indianapolis, no problem, and with some more details about your location, maybe closer. I also know someone else up here that has cals.
I know people in Indianapolis with chins.
I also have a friend in southern Indiana that raises outstanding opals and castors.

If I knew exactly what you wanted, I could make some phone calls. I know people, and people who know people. :mrgreen: LOL!

lonelyfarmgirl":2w7iivbm said:
skysthelimit, I pm'ed you.

Marty Adams is a friend of mine. She has both Sables and Cals, but I dont know what her current stock is. She will have more come summer. I can arrange transport to Indianapolis, no problem, and with some more details about your location, maybe closer. I also know someone else up here that has cals.
I know people in Indianapolis with chins.
I also have a friend in southern Indiana that raises outstanding opals and castors.

If I knew exactly what you wanted, I could make some phone calls. I know people, and people who know people. :mrgreen: LOL!

Thanks for helping lonelyfarmgirl. Now I just need to get transport from WI to Ohio in March.

I have a lot of black otter rex and 1 silver marten rex, castor rex, rew rex and I _did_ have an opal rex but my friend fell in love with him and took him home with her.. with my permission of course.

Oh also 1 solid black rex.

A sable rex would be GREAT!

The only chin I have is a mini rex pair and their babies. Not in standard rex sadly.

Well transport fell through, i can't get anything from that far away. So much for the sable project. another time.<br /><br />__________ Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:30 am __________<br /><br />
SableMarten":2lr8jikb said:
I have a lot of black otter rex and 1 silver marten rex, castor rex, rew rex and I _did_ have an opal rex but my friend fell in love with him and took him home with her.. with my permission of course.

Oh also 1 solid black rex.

A sable rex would be GREAT!

The only chin I have is a mini rex pair and their babies. Not in standard rex sadly.

I have a castor doe that produces black, castor, REW, chocolate, and amber; and a broken castor that produces blue, black and opal. I have some kits that possibly carry otter (sire was otter and they are REW; and a chin doe, but no one to breed her to.

If you go to an American Sable breeder and get a seal colored, you may come up with a sable when bred to your REW. I'm not sure though. I just started raising rabbits and the albino gene is kinda confusing to me. Here's my American Sable, Sasha, with Chloe the black Silver Marten. They are best friends:

Attachments

• chloe and sasha.jpg
    chloe and sasha.jpg
    28.1 KB
Jill":8jtmvvt7 said:
If you go to an American Sable breeder and get a seal colored, you may come up with a sable when bred to your REW. I'm not sure though. I just started raising rabbits and the albino gene is kinda confusing to me. Here's my American Sable, Sasha, with Chloe the black Silver Marten. They are best friends:

They are really pretty.

An American sable breeder is even harder to find than a sable rex breeder :(

As far as REW, it's a double recessive masking gene. Two parents need to have it to produce it. It masks the genetic color of the rabbit.

skysthelimit":v3fr485d said:
I have no way to get a rabbit from Florida or WI to Ohio, and that is half the problem, or by the time I got it here, it would be so expensive.
You might be surprised! OneAcreFarm and I were able to get Rexes from lonelyfarmgirl in Wisconsin all the way to south Texas with the help of several people along the way who also wanted Rexes.

Thanks. I got Sasha (the American Sable) from a local breeder who raises them for meat. She was going to barbeque Sasha the weekend that we went and bought her so sometimes we jokingly call her our "Barbeque bunny." Now she's a fancy 4H show rabbit and I just love her.

trinityoaks":3jd4z8bi said:
skysthelimit":3jd4z8bi said:
I have no way to get a rabbit from Florida or WI to Ohio, and that is half the problem, or by the time I got it here, it would be so expensive.
You might be surprised! OneAcreFarm and I were able to get Rexes from lonelyfarmgirl in Wisconsin all the way to south Texas with the help of several people along the way who also wanted Rexes.

I'm still trying, looking for the elusive sable. I found a american sable breeder by chance the other day, but all she has right now is a pointed white right now.

RedneckRabbitry":1x37nbvi said:
we are in west central Wisconsin and i have 2 blk otter kits, 1 sable doe and 3 cali does

Transport is the problem, so far, everyone coming to ohio has fell through.

skysthelimit":2b2jdi3o said:
RedneckRabbitry":2b2jdi3o said:
we are in west central Wisconsin and i have 2 blk otter kits, 1 sable doe and 3 cali does

say Sky.....next weekend...the 5th/6th of May is the Ohio state convention in Columbus.... perhaps someone might have what You are looking for there....just a thought...

Random Rabbit":3nyn1hyg said:
skysthelimit":3nyn1hyg said:
RedneckRabbitry":3nyn1hyg said:

say Sky.....next weekend...the 5th/6th of May is the Ohio state convention in Columbus.... perhaps someone might have what You are looking for there....just a thought...

I won't be able to attend, the first Sat in May is the standing date for my shepherd club show, and I don't show on Sundays. But if I can get someone to take it there, I should e able to get someone to bring it up to me.

I don't know how this ended up but I just got a sable Rex female and was doing some research on them and came upon this thread. All Rex breeders are very hard to find and if you do find them for some reason they're far away from where you are. I'm in Connecticut you would think a farming State like this would have tons of breeders there's one and for some reason she never has any or they're always babies LOL it took me 8 months to find this female. I had a black otter mother who gave me three after having four scattered litters 2 years in a row I thought two of them were female so I sent them other to freezer camp and they all ended up being boys... Beautiful boys are broken lynx... A broken Brown and an Opal. Now I'm trying to sell them on Craigslist for $40 each and not taking a penny less. Good luck if you need any help or advice I'm here I've had Rex for a good 8 years now. I've had rabbits for 30 and probably had almost every breed out there mostly good meat breeds, giant chinchillas, silver fox, colored New Zealand's are broken New Zealand, and who knows what else but they were all quality stock with papers. At least it started off like that the parent stock.

Back